Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

4K or Retina displays - do they work with ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious if there will be an updated version of ArchiCad for Apple's Retina Display.
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's arrived. I haven't had a chance to play with it in ArchiCAD, but the screen is absolutely amazing! All text is so crisp, I also don't want to plug it into a big display any more.
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
I got my Retina MBP today and as stated, the screen is amazing. The text in ArchiCAD 15 looks like text on paper. But I just noticed that pop-out selections in parameters do not work.
The work around is to select the ArchiCAD application from the ArchiCAD 15 folder, 'get info' using command 'I' then tick 'Open in low resolution'. When you start ArchiCAD, text now shows blurry but the pop-out selection lists will now work. Note : This is in 'Lion'. The Archiwiki entry states this as being in 'Mountain' Lion only.
This screen show show what the pop-outs look like with 'Open in low resolution' ticked. Without it ticked, you get zip.
Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 10.06.39 PM.png
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried it your right. That's a real shame though, because as you said everything else looks amazing.
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Yes, the text in the GDL editor looks especially great.
At least GS have come out said they will be supporting Retina in an AC15 Hotfix. So its just a waiting game now
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Interestingly, this issue doesn't effect the pop outs when using on an external display, even when ArchiCAD is in 'High Res' mode. If you drag the dialog onto the Retina screen it stops working, if you drag it back to the standard screen it starts working..
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
Interestingly, this issue doesn't effect the pop outs when using on an external display, even when ArchiCAD is in 'High Res' mode. If you drag the dialog onto the Retina screen it stops working, if you drag it back to the standard screen it starts working..
just tried it and you're right, very odd.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone experienced 4K resolution (3840x2160) with Archicad?
- does it work?
- greater mousemovement is workable?
- how is speed?

Here i found some Windows-printscreens
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7re6a9_3U2nOFhZNU1NQWFlblU&usp=sharing
Karl Ottenstein
Not sure why it would be an issue? If the graphics card can handle 4K, then any app SHOULD be able to run OK, too. If the pixel density is too small (e.g., small 4K monitor) - then I would imagine it would be impossible to read the palettes text at native resolution.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
It should work the same as Macs with retina display, the OS should be able to keep things readable.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad 18-14 runs very poorly in 2D running a 4K monitor.

I have tried a new 12 core Mac Pro with dual AMD FirePro D700's.
I have also tried a tricked out Retina MacBook Pro.

I have tried both the 32" Asus and 32" Dell 4K monitors.

Both of these machines run Archicad well in the 3D window, especially the 12 core. However they both run very poorly in 2D. Feedback and execution are painstakingly slow.

The only way to get tolerable feedback and execution on either machine is to size your 2D window to about 10"x12".

I will be returning the monitor because it is of little use at this point.