Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Advice on buying a Desktop

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am planning to buy a new computer because my current PC is slow and the rendering takes far too long. I have gone to two different stores and offer me two different computers but I have no knowledge about computers and it's very hard for me to choose. I am hoping to buy a computer that will benefit ArchiCAD 2D/3D drawing and most important rendering speed and also for gaming.

Option 1 - Intel

CPU: - Intel® Core™ i7-8700 | 4.6 GHZ | 6 Cores 12 Threads
MOTHERBOARD (ZEAL) : Z390 Extreme 4 Motherboard
GRAPHICS CARD - ZEAL : NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
THERMAL COMPOUND : Thermal Grizzly KRYONAUT
CPU COOLING SYSTEM (DESKTOP) : WATERCOOLING : AFTERSHOCK Glawater coolingsed loop watercooling
MEMORY (RAM) : 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ Black Edition Ram with Heat Spreader (8x2)
Primary Solid State Drive Bay : 250GB SAMSUNG 970 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD
FIRST HARD DRIVE (DESKTOP) : TOSHIBA 1TB 3.5 INCH HDD (Buffer Size 32MB)
WIRELESS LAN (DESKTOP) : Intel 3168 AC WIFI + BT
CHASSIS FANS : Standard Chassis Fans

Option 2 - AMD Ryzen

- CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 - 8 Cores 16 Threads
- Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
- Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHz (2x8GB) DDR4
- Graphics ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
- SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD
- HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD
- Power Supply - Corsair CX550M 550W Bronze ATX Power Supply
-Fan - 3x Bitfenix Spectre 120mm RGB Case Fan

Also, about the graphics card if I choose Intel they recommend - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 or AMD Ryzen - ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2070, 8GB. Are they good graphics card for Archicad? On the Archicad website, they didn't show or tested those graphics cards. I was planning to get Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 but all of the computer stores I went to said they weren't selling it anymore. on ArchiCAD website, they mention "Professional" vs. "Gaming" video cards and I am not sure what is best.

Thank you
14 REPLIES 14
Lingwisyer
Guru
Unless you are gaming and have "sensitive eyes", I would not bother with a 144hz monitor. Spend the money on more screen real-estate instead or a better quality panel.

Or just save your money and do what Karl suggests, and get an adaptor.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Personal taste, but also using 2x 24" HD screen (which has vga + hdmi, so maybe check to make sure yours do not have that either).

I run ArchiCAD completely full screen on the left screen which I face, the one to the right has my windows taskbar and stuff like browser, email, PDF docs and a few stray archicad palettes (SEO and such).

I prefer that to a larger screen.

4k is nice for picture clarity, but doesn't play nice with windows allways I believe and you need a fairly decent GPU to push all those pixels.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer wrote:
Unless you are gaming and have "sensitive eyes", I would not bother with a 144hz monitor. Spend the money on more screen real-estate instead or a better quality panel.

Or just save your money and do what Karl suggests, and get an adaptor.

Ling.

Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Personal taste, but also using 2x 24" HD screen (which has vga + hdmi, so maybe check to make sure yours do not have that either).

I run ArchiCAD completely full screen on the left screen which I face, the one to the right has my windows taskbar and stuff like browser, email, PDF docs and a few stray archicad palettes (SEO and such).

I prefer that to a larger screen.

4k is nice for picture clarity, but doesn't play nice with windows allways I believe and you need a fairly decent GPU to push all those pixels.
I am getting the RTX 2070. My current monitor uses VGA + HDMI port. I will probably buy an adapter first and see how it goes, will eventually buy a better one.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just get a new 4K monitor you’re already spending thousands on processor and graphics card, why cheap out on the monitor that you will be looking at almost every day for the next three years.

Scott