BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 10 and OS X

Anonymous
Not applicable
Recently I accepted an automatic upgrade to my MacBook PRO OS X to version 10.9.4 and suddenly I was unable to open my ArchiCAD 10. With my limited knowledge I researched online and I think it's a compatibility issue with the newer version of OS X. I decided to purchase a used MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.8 installed in the hopes I could install V10 on that machine and have it as a dedicated platform for ArchiCAD 10 but I am unable to install using the original disc, and I cannot use Migration Assistant to install just one program. The Installation menu opens but I get a continuous swirling icon suggesting the installation process is underway but after an hour nothing happens leading me to believe it is locked up.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Ed
ArchiCAD 10
MacBook Pro
OS X 10.6.8
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (which I will upgrade to 4 GB once the installation is complete)
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Did you try just moving a copy of the AC10 installed version onto the new yet older OS machine?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
The original, moved or not, AC 10 will not run under Mavericks.

But, Graphisoft gave us a gift of sorts when they created a special version of 10 that IS compatible with Mavericks... since 10 is required for converting old projects.

You can download the 10.9 compatible version of AC 10 from here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

about halfway down - dated November 13, 2013 - INT and USA versions available.

Save your original installation so that, if necessary, you can merge any add-ons and local libraries into the downloaded app folder. You'll end up with AC 10 as you knew it... but running under Mavericks.

So... use your new Macbook Pro and see if you can return the used one you bought? 😉

If you want AC 10 on the old one, then do as Erika suggests and just copy the full AC 10 folder from the Applications folder of one machine to the 10.6.8 machine. Or, use the version above... which simply unpacks and does not require an installer.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Woo Hoo!!!! Copying the file worked. At first I had a WIBU issue but I downloaded a patch from ArchiCAD and that fixed that. Thanks for the advice...you don't know how this has eliminated a lot of concern that I would lose my ArchiCAD capability.

I'll also try Karl's suggestion to also get ArchiCAD running on my original machine with Mavericks.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl wrote:
The original, moved or not, AC 10 will not run under Mavericks.

But, Graphisoft gave us a gift of sorts when they created a special version of 10 that IS compatible with Mavericks... since 10 is required for converting old projects.

You can download the 10.9 compatible version of AC 10 from here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

about halfway down - dated November 13, 2013 - INT and USA versions available.
Karl, Thanks for the reminder, it is indeed a gift
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!