cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ballooning File size in AC 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I started with a file of approx 6 MB in size. After 2 days of editing (adding some walls and roofs) I was surprised to find my file had ballooned to 148 MB! Today, I deleted a lot of stuff in the drawing, including an entire 20,000 sf duplicate model of the project and my file is now 170 MB! What is causing this? and is there any fix?
I have a deadline and can barely work on the drawing it has become so bogged down.

I am using Mac OSX with the latest update in place.
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
kegroup wrote:
Today, I deleted a lot of stuff in the drawing, including an entire 20,000 sf duplicate model of the project and my file is now 170 MB!

Lets go back to the beginning here... what does an entire 20,000 sf duplicate model of the project mean?

Something strange is going on in your drawing. There really have not been instances of file sizes growing since the Navigator Preview bug. Are you inadvertently duplicating things? Do you have lots of layers or layer sets? custom fills?custom line types?

Have you called tech support? I really would like to know when this gets figured out.

woodster
__archiben
Booster
are you using teamwork at all on this file?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a solo project, although the last time I had ballooning it was a teamworks.

Back to the beginning... I had copied the model and dragged it off to one side (it's a 20K sf, 1 story building) to test some roof revisions. When I didn't need it anymore, I deleted it. It was an intentional duplication. I've also run the Check Duplicates Add-on and found only 2 duplicates of objects that were not intended.

I am using only materials/hatches out of the box and have even gone through and deleted the most complex of the paving and flooring hatches from the attribute list, just in case. My local salesman thinks I could have a corrupt GDL object in there, but that wouldn't explain it's slimming down and then rapid weight gain would it? If there were a bad object, wouldn't its effects show up the first time I saved the file?
Anonymous
Not applicable
kegroup wrote:
... My local salesman thinks I could have a corrupt GDL object in there, but that wouldn't explain it's slimming down and then rapid weight gain would it? If there were a bad object, wouldn't its effects show up the first time I saved the file?
Are you using any 3rd party libraries or have you created some of your own library parts?...just curious what could possibly be the "bad" object

How about Add-ons...are you using any special add-ons that may be creating additional overhead?

The "simple" model you have described seems to be straightforward enough so its very curious behavior that you are experiencing...Do you, by any chance, have alot of section/elevation markers defined in the file? These markers tend to quickly inflate file size when used to liberally.

I noticed you copy/pasted the model into a new file and it lowered the file size. if the model has "ballooned" back up again try doing a "save as" and have the model overwrite itself...I can't explain why, but in my experience this has ocassionally reduced the file sizes for me.

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the latest. I have purged all but the basic fills, I have loaded only the default 8.1 library with no 3rd party objects, I have only 10 section cuts, I have purged all unused layers, there are no cameras.

I did a "save as" and it went from 70.7 MB to 70.5 MB. There's gotta be something else. I'm trying tech support.
Anonymous
Not applicable
kegroup wrote:
...There's gotta be something else. I'm trying tech support.
please fill us all in when/if you narrow down the problem with tech support.

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
As of 3pm CST I have not yet heard from tech support, but I have a clue now. When I opened one of my exterior elevations and saved the document, it grew from 70 to 109MB. It looks like I can't use what should be one of the more useful features of Archicad which is mapping hatches onto the building in 3D. I'm punting and just laying them on in 2D in the section window and changing all my materials to "whitewash."

There's $2000 in time flushed down the toilet. Think the Hungarians will pay that invoice?
Anonymous
Not applicable
kegroup wrote:
...but I have a clue now. When I opened one of my exterior elevations and saved the document, it grew from 70 to 109MB. It looks like I can't use what should be one of the more useful features of Archicad which is mapping hatches onto the building in 3D. I'm punting and just laying them on in 2D in the section window and changing all my materials to "whitewash."...
If you have an immediate deadline for your work maybe "punting" with this 2D work is a temporary solution. I think, however, you have something else going on that needs to be solved.

I use hatches in all of my elevation views and don't experience the same problem you are having - hopefully graphisoft will be able to help you isolate the problem.

Please keep us informed

Dan K
__archiben
Booster
kegroup wrote:
When I opened one of my exterior elevations and saved the document, it grew from 70 to 109MB. It looks like I can't use what should be one of the more useful features of Archicad which is mapping hatches onto the building in 3D.
mate that does actually sound just like the whole 'save navigator preview data' thing which would generate hundreds of lines in the preview for all of your fills . . . are you absolutely doubly sure it's turned off?

additionally, try this:
open project
send and receive (if using TW)
save
check file size
repeat several times

... and see what happens

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
mate that does actually sound just like the whole 'save navigator preview data' thing which would generate hundreds of lines in the preview for all of your fills . . . are you absolutely doubly sure it's turned off?
I agree... are you sure that the Work Environment that has the preview toggled off is the active Work Environment?

woodster