Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Better use of hardware resources

Revan
Participant

Good day,

I would like to make better use of the hardware resources of my PC in Archicad.
When doing detailed design with many polygons or editing city models, my computer loads a bit longer.
During these loading processes just 15% of my hardware is used. I would like to know what I can do that the available hardware is used.

Kind regards

System:
CPU: Ryzen 5 Pro 4650 G
GPU: RTX 3060 12 GB
RAM: 32 GB

4 REPLIES 4
Haris Matthaiou
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi Revan,

Ryzen 5 Pro is a 12-core CPU. I believe the computations during this editing rely heavily on single-threaded operations. So roughly 9% is the dedicated task on full load for a single core, I assume some additional overhead from OS operations or other minimal parallel tasks in Archicad would sum up to 15%.

Regarding the CPU utilization and the threads, have a look at Multiprocessing and Archicad article.

Revan
Participant

Thank you very much for your answer.

This means that although Archicad can use multiple cores, it is mainly about single core performance?

What about memory, why is the utilisation so low?

Did I understand correctly that the workload generated in the "stories, sections, worksheets", etc. (2D) is handled by the CPU and everything that happens in the 3D window is handled by the GPU?

Memory utilisation might be low due to the CPU bottleneck, if that is where it is bottlenecking. You should be able to view your CPU utilisation per core.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

@Revan wrote:

This means that although Archicad can use multiple cores, it is mainly about single core performance?

Yes, Archicad -like most BIM solutions- rely heavily on the single thread performance of the CPU. That is why a CPU with high single thread rating will perform better (for most operations) than another CPU with lower single thread rating but more cores.

@Revan wrote:

What about memory, why is the utilisation so low?

RAM utilization varies on the model complexity and size. 
It is more often that users report that Archicad is allocating excessive RAM -especially on large projects. However, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Archicad is trying to use as much RAM as needed -no more, no less. Of course here's always room for RAM optimization on development side. This usually comes in small code improvements on the codebase of different Archicad components, so don't expect significant changes from one version to the next one.

@Revan wrote:

Did I understand correctly that the workload generated in the "stories, sections, worksheets", etc. (2D) is handled by the CPU and everything that happens in the 3D window is handled by the GPU?

Well , not exactly. To generate the 3D for example is CPU bound. Once the model is loaded, then it's mainly GPU bound for navigation -given that CPU is not a bottleneck. Then any editing operation on 3D , requires a rebuild of the model, so CPU kicks in again.
On 3D, CPU and GPU are interconnected in the operation. 
On 2D mainly CPU is doing the heavy load -although some operations and redraws are GPU accelerated .