Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Change default text

Anonymous
Not applicable
New user trying out the demo to see if it would work for the office and I find that the default text style is arial and was wondering if there is a way to change that default so I wouldn't have to change the font everytime I place a symbol with text or a leader with text. Thanks ahead of time.
9 REPLIES 9
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
With nothing selected, double click the text tool. In the appearing Text Tool dialog, you should see the word 'Default' in the upper right hand corner. This means that any text you put down (using this tool) from now on will be whatever you set now. So go ahead and change it to whatever font you like.

As for the long term, ArchiCAD has several ways of using defaults. When you start a new project, one option in the 'Open Project' dialog is to use the 'Latest Settings', which refers to the settings you used in the previous project. This is the same thing that happens when you open an existing project. - whatever you set as default the last time you were in it, will still be default.

As you progress, you'll want to set up a template and use that to start all projects from. Welcome to our community.

Cheers,
Link.
Barry Kelly
You will need to set the default font for each tool that uses it - text, leaders, dimensions.
As Link said set the default for the tool and it will stay that way untill you change it again.
As for objects, if they have text in them you will need to open the object script, change the default font (could be a simple parameter or you may have to alter the script if not) and then save the object.
An alternative to this is to use FAVOURITES to save the objects as you would like them to appear (there must be a parameter for the font to do this).

Its' the initial setup of Archicad that takes time.
I strongly recommend the setting up of a template.
Once you have it sussed it's pretty much plain sailing from there.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried to do this as you had stated by saving the setting as a favorite but there still shows a default in the favorites. I would like to replace that with the new change in text but it doesn't allow me to over write this. Now if I change all the text that I have in the drawing and save that as a template does that default go to the new text style? The whole reason for this is that I don't want to change this everytime a drawing is started to where I have to choose the default or the company standard. I want the company standard be the default. I have a template that a retialer gave us with the demo to try out, and trying to adjust the template to match our company standards. The only thing that I need to change on it is the text default and to get this to work is that I created a favorite that has the changed setting. Ultimatly I would like to replace the default with the one I created. any help on this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
iceman wrote:
I have tried to do this as you had stated by saving the setting as a favorite but there still shows a default in the favorites. I would like to replace that with the new change in text but it doesn't allow me to over write this.

After changing the default in the settings dialogue box:

1. Click once on the favorite you want to change (Don't double click on it)
2. Move the cursor up to the little arrow to the right of "Name " heading
3. Chose "Redefine with current Default"

After fixing all the favorites to your desired defaults, from the same menu on the Favorites pallet, chose "Save Favorites" (It will save the Favorites in Demo Mode)

See attached picture.

iceman wrote:
Now if I change all the text that I have in the drawing and save that as a template does that default go to the new text style?

Since you are running in Demo Mode you will not be able to save a template.

iceman wrote:
The whole reason for this is that I don't want to change this everytime a drawing is started to where I have to choose the default or the company standard. I want the company standard be the default.

Between the Favorites, the Work Environment and the templates, you WILL accomplish what you want.

Woody
redefine favorite.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info but I am unable to even find the screen that matches the screen shot you provided. How do I get to the screen that list those. The way I thought that you went thru was thru the label settings box. Am I not explaining what I am trying to do. It seems so simple with autocad I am just thinking it should be just as easy. If I can't get this figured out it would be a tuff sale to the principles
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info but I am unable to even find the screen that matches the screen shot you provided. How do I get to the screen that list those. The way I thought that you went thru was thru the label settings box. Am I not explaining what I am trying to do. It seems so simple with autocad I am just thinking it should be just as easy. If I can't get this figured out it would be a tuff sale to the principles
It really is quite simple and once you have a template set up your concerns are a non-issue. You change the text size, font etc and it remains as you have last used it. Different text styles (notes versus titles etc) can be dealt with either by using favorites or having that stye already in place on your template. Once a text item (or anything else) is placed on the drawing an "alt click" on that element will set all the parameters to the selected element. A good template will include this information such that very little time is spent adjusting parameters. It is very worthwhile paying someone to help set up and office template that corresponds to your office standards prior to starting fresh with Archicad. You would likely pay for that expenditure in the first project done in Archicad.
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
I think the problem here is you are running in demo mode, which doesn't allow you to save the results of your work.
You need to ask your reseller if you can borrow a dongle for a couple of days so you can set up your template how you want it then save it.
Your reseller should be willing to do this if they want to make the sale.
Once you have set all the tools with text in to your desired font, you need to be able to save the template. After you have been able to do this, the next time you open the template you will find the all these tools set to which ever font you choose.

Cheers
Stu
Anonymous
Not applicable
iceman wrote:
To get the Favorites window shown in the picture go to the menu; Window/Palettes Display/Show Favorites.

I think you are explaining what you want to do very well. And believe me, it's a lot simpler to do it in ArchiCAD than it is in Autocad. You need to call the reseller ( http://www.virtualcadsolutions.com ). I'm sure he will be happy to show you what you need to do.

Woody
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You need to call the reseller ( http://www.virtualcadsolutions.com ). I'm sure he will be happy to show you what you need to do.
As will I since I'm currently in the area. PM me if you'd like help in person.

Cheers,
Link.