Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

How much Ram?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am looking into upgrading the computers in our office. How much ram does AC10 utilize on the MAC G5 Dual machines?
THANKS!!!
12 REPLIES 12
Dwight
Newcomer
I am guessing that 2Gb would be the limit. I am using a dual G5 now and even my most complex renderings do not address more than 1.8 Gb.

If you are looking to economically max out your G5, fill the extra slots with 512 Gb chips to get a total of 3.5 Gb. That is a saw-off cost/benefit that uses the original ram.

Many Mac ArchiCAD users like Crucial

http://www.crucial.com/
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've found 2GB to be plenty so far; often with numerous sessions of ArchiCAD running.

I am one of those who likes Crucial for RAM, whether for Mac or PC. I have never had problems with it, but have seen plenty with RAM from other vendors. Besides, since they are a major OEM supplier, they are often the lowest cost as well.
Dwight
Newcomer
I refer to 3.5 Gb as optimal - a REAL user will have Photoshop open all the time - it can address way more than 2Gb, now.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I refer to 3.5 Gb as optimal - a REAL user will have Photoshop open all the time - it can address way more than 2Gb, now.
So I guess I need a second MacBook for Photoshop (network by Firewire?).
I'm maxed at 2GB
Still a robust tool though.
Dwight
Newcomer
Well, that WOULD give you something to do with your second pair of hands.

Firewire is a master/slave thing - you'd use Ethernet.

The thread DID start because of G5 question. All those RAM slots gathering dust....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the feedback. We are running 1.5 gigs currently. I think we will get 1 gig each and then see if that makes any difference. We have a lot of Cadimage tools on a project and it seems to be running really slow (scroling in plan, moving doors and windows etc...). We were hoping that more ram would help that.
Thanks again,
Monica
Dwight
Newcomer
You might like to simplify the OpenGL plan view.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Keep an eye on your processes using Activity Monitor. That will tell you what is happening between the RAM, CPU and drive.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I do that?