cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Info Box slow to populate

toofuerte
Contributor
In AC22, I select anything and the info box takes 30+ seconds to populate and I can't do anything while waiting. I have a similar problem with finding objects, if I do a search it can take several minutes to populate the list of objects. Is there a way to speed this up?
Gerald Acton "Gary"
Acton Design Services
Windows 10 PRO 64 bit
i7-5820K @ 3.30ghz 32GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Ram
AC 19 - AC 28
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
I don't know if this will work, but maybe try adding the Graphisoft folders to your anti-virus exception list.
I have added the program and data folders to my list so it is not constantly being checked as I work.

See this post ...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=59564#p278620

Barry,
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Solution
Barry Kelly
I don't know if this will work, but maybe try adding the Graphisoft folders to your anti-virus exception list.
I have added the program and data folders to my list so it is not constantly being checked as I work.

See this post ...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=59564#p278620

Barry,
Versions 6.5 to 27
toofuerte
Contributor
Barry,
Thanks looks like step 8 is the one that really slows things down.

Thank you!
Gerald Acton "Gary"
Acton Design Services
Windows 10 PRO 64 bit
i7-5820K @ 3.30ghz 32GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Ram
AC 19 - AC 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if you guys had any other solutions for this. I'm working on a pretty powerful PC, and I've excluded all Archicad files and folders from my windows security antivirus. I don't have any other anti-virus software, and I've even turned off Windows antivirus security entirely.

No luck, and still have slow info box loading problems. It's more like 1.5 seconds, and selecting/deselecting is also slow too. Everything is just a little slow to respond and makes working extremely frustrating. Any troubleshooting tips? I've tried all 8 steps mentioned in the prior post.

Thank you!
Barry Kelly
53dougherty wrote:
I'm working on a pretty powerful PC, and I've excluded all Archicad files and folders from my windows security antivirus.

Even the ones in the usually hidden C:\Users\user_name\AppData folder?

53dougherty wrote:
Any troubleshooting tips? I've tried all 8 steps mentioned in the prior post.

I would turn off all anti-virus software (and disconnect from the internet just to be safe).
If it is still slow then it is not the anti-virus software.

Make sure you have the latest build installed and that your video drivers are up to date.

Does it make a difference if you run in DEMO mode? - i.e. disconnect your Archicad license.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry -

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried everything and it still wasn't helping. Eventually I ended up making a whole new user for my PC. Now it works! Same antivirus exclusions and settings as my main user, but this time it works. I'm wondering if there is something else I have downloaded in my main user's setup that is causing the speed issues. As far as I know I don't have any other anti-virus software, though. And for the record, when I did turn off the internet, the problems still persisted when logged in under my main user.

So I still have no idea what the cause of the problem is, but at least now I have a solution that isn't too inconvenient.

Thanks
Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, looks like I spoke too soon. Still getting some lagging especially with selecting and editing text boxes/ labels. Marginally better on my new windows user, but still too slow to be comfortable.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
For what it is worth, I have experienced this slowness recently in the Info Box populating its panels. It was happening both in Archicad 23 and Archicad 24. In my case, I found that I am running multiple applications besides Archicad and they are using a lot of CPU resources. When I exited those other programs, the population of the Info Box panel speeded up immediately.
It may be worth investigating a little bit. For example, Google has a software reporter tool, which runs in the background and sometimes uses a ridiculous amount of CPU power. Many web sites simply suggest that you disable it, which I in fact did:

https://windowsreport.com/turn-off-chrome-software-reporter/#:~:text=Steps%20to%20disable%20Google%2....
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your report, and I am very sorry about the experience!

We rarely received reports about slowness with the Info Box. I can imagine what Laszlo said might be the case: other programs eat up the resources, and that results in slowness with Archicad. Nevertheless, such problem would also make Archicad slow with other operations, for example, selecting/deselecting elements, open settings, etc... which match the description of Matt's case.

I suggest keep a close eye on the Task Manager (there is an option to pin it on top: Options > Always on top) when the slowness happens with Archicad, and see whether the CPU and RAM is running close to 90-100%. From here, we can identify what is taking resources and kill it via Task Manager.

I hope it will help you with the issue. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
mnguyen wrote:
Nevertheless, such a problem would also make Archicad slow with other operations, for example, selecting/deselecting elements, open settings, etc... which match the description of Matt's case.

Minh,

Yes, that was the case when I experienced slowness - selection and opening Settings Dialogs were also slow like Archicad is thinking about doing it and then doing it in 1-2 seconds.

I suggest keep a close eye on the Task Manager (there is an option to pin it on top: Options > Always on top) when the slowness happens with Archicad, and see whether the CPU and RAM are running close to 90-100%. From here, we can identify what is taking resources and kill it via Task Manager.

One thing I noticed about this, and I do not know if it is because of my AMD Ryzen CPU, my BIOS, or my operating system, but I have an 8-core processor, and when CPU utilization was approaching 10-12% the slowness appeared. If I divide 100% by 8, I get 12.5%. So, using one processor core fully and no other cores would show a 12.5% utilization of CPU. I assume that most of the tasks in a CPU have to at least partially run through 1 core which may distribute the workload to all other CPU cores. So, in case you are running tasks that use mostly a single core, you would not see CPU usage go very high, if it is approaching the 100% / Core Count (100% / 8 = 12.5% in my case) limit, it would already cause slowness in Archicad, in my case.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27