Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Intel iMac impressions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just purchased a 20" Intel iMac for use with ArchiCAD. Special ordered it with optional 500 GB hard drive, 2 GB ram, the 256 MB Video card. Since it can now support the extended desktop and I can use my 23" Cinema display, seemed like it might be an acceptable workstation vs. a Power Mac G5.

Since I work with various architects on a freelance basis, I have been using a 17" Powerbook @ 1 Ghz with 1 GB ram with good results.

Running ArchiCAD in Rosetta emulation seems a bit faster than the 3 year old Powerbook. Rerendering section and elevation views is faster, and sketch renderings come up fast. With the Activity Monitor window running, I can see that both CPU chips are running, averaging about 50 to 60% useage per core.

I am very happy with this configuration and would recommend it. The big hard drive is for my video work, so probably isn't needed to run ArchiCAD. I have an associate with a box stock 20" Intel iMac so I'll report back on the differences in speed vs. my optioned out version.

ArchiCAD has always crashed every so often for me, and seems a bit touchier on the Intel box, but still seems to run very acceptably with no odd glitches that I've noticed so far.

Looking forward to the Universal version of ArchiCAD !
2 REPLIES 2
Aussie John
Newcomer
Thanks for the report Chris. I imagine large improvements with universal coding
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
similar results here. we found that once we added a lot of ram, performance took a HUGE step forward. my guess is that Rosetta is a bit of a memory hog, and if you don't have enough to accommodate the emulation and the software, you're in for slow performance - not just with ArchiCAD.

Wes