Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Is new MacBook Pro fast enough?

Aime
Newcomer
Please check this out
www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html
Will this be fast enough for AC 11 (AC 12) and Artlantis studio 2. I currently run AC 8.1 on a Toshiba laptop (or is that notebook?) P25-S609 and I want to make a switch to AC 11 on a 17" 2.6ghz MacBook pro. I would appreciate any advice thanks.
Have you seen the light?
AC 12, AC14, win 7, Hp pavillion dv6 2.4Ghz, 4gb Ram
36 REPLIES 36
Dwight
Newcomer
If you work in a glaring environment, specific angles get glare from the glossy screen much like the oiled flesh of a Miami beach exhibitionist at 4 PM.

I have been watching glossy screens in airport lounges and it seems relatively easy to tilt the screen to avoid reflection and i do agree it seems more vivid.

It is glossy for me next time.
Dwight Atkinson
aahatimo
Newcomer
dwight,
thanks for recommendation and the greasy / glossy image!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
aahatimo
Newcomer
took the plunge, glitzy glossy loaded 17" mbp on its way!
thanks all.
tim hanagan
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
PB
Expert
I'm running AC11 & Artlantis Studio 2 on an 18 month old 17" MacBook Pro tethered to a 30" Apply display most of the time:

Overall, the performance is wonderful: Only the most demanding tasks take a noticeably frustrating amount of time, and they are graphics related (plan/elevation redraw and open-GL on a very large project (66 flats, 30 villas, landscape, beach, palm trees, etc!).

I would love to have the current 17" MBP with 512MB graphics card (rather than my 256MB): I believe it would address the above 'slow-downs' (and yes, definitely wait until after WWDW). You must, must, must get the max RAM installed to get the most from the MBP, which is a marvellous machine.

I would agree with previous comments on the hard drive: Get much more space, rather than the speed bump of 7200 rpm...........but as always, one person's choice is not necessarily another's!
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS 15
PB
Expert
Meant to ask..........let us know if your MBP is all you hoped for!
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS 15
aahatimo
Newcomer
PB wrote:
Meant to ask..........let us know if your MBP is all you hoped for!
should have it monday the 2nd. we let you know.
it is coming w/ a 200 gig 7200 rpm hd, a can do a 4 gig ram upgrade for $125 plus exchange the 2 gig ram it comes w/.
who knows i may just have it a week if steve j makes an enticing announcement....
kind of amazing i have made it w/ this powerbook since dec 2004! should be a very major improvement.
have a great weekend!
tim hanagan
aahatimo
Newcomer
looks about the same as my old powerbook, but is much improved under the hood!
hirez glossy screen is great to look at, just not at its 1920x1200 for ac work.
thanks for the help!
tim hanagan