Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Keeping up to date for Template

Eric Milberger
Advocate

Just a thought - In my old software I would place materials in a particular folder that grew and grew as I created or found things I needed.  So I never had to reboot when I started a new project.

Is there a way to mimic this for materials patterns, surfaces etc.

I feel Like I lose something I have to hunt and find to do this with every new project.

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

Keep your template up to date.

Then any new job you start will have the new attributes.

You can also import them at any time into your older projects if you decide you need those new attributes there as well.

Hopefully one day we will get the ability to use a central resource file that all other files can reference and therefore will update automatically.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

The problemis that this is a job in itself  

You have materials as well as walls,  surfaces. complex versions also.

This is terribly proe to a loss of data and 6 or a times the duplication of information as it is not just walls.  If I could copy something as I go into another file that would help OR  if I could when I finish a job download chose new items.  but that is one by one in a sea of information.

very Frustrated as this is the first major thing that I have lost and it is a killer.

The repository could be just a folder where you keep everything and it physically does not get added until you want to bring it into a file

You can do that by exporting any attribute you make in any file to that repository folder.

But you really should add it to your template first, so you can organise it with the correct attribute numbers, and then export it out as an attribute files.

I do this and actually save them in my office library so they are distributed to everyone that uses it.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Eric Milberger
Advocate

The scenario of copying access from one file is tedious.  

Seems like a template that links to a wall template for example would be a better approach.

The master template looks the same and you open the template to create any new items.

The problem would be to work in a large firm where you cannot all have a shared template open to be updated.

The file folder full of the walls is much easier to maintain as there is little to no maintenance.

I am wanting it to be automatic not a process

Centralised attribute management is under research, but it certainly won't be in 28.

https://graphisoft.com/product-roadmap/centralized-attribute-management

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank-you.  I have used this process since the 1990's.

My library of walls and other components have grown and grown with another software.

I switched to Graphisoft for some features you shine with.

But have had to rebuild a library - and it is painful to have to MANAGE/copy/ paste from job to job rather than it just be there for the next project.

This feature and mulitple monitors are two features that hold Archicad back.  I hope these two are taken seriously.