Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Linux server to Apple Server

David Pacifico
Booster
I have a client that is using Archicad 9 on Mac OSX 10.3 and 10.4. He was using a Linux server. He is now going to an Apple server, becuase of some permission issues when exchanging files with users outside the office.

The problem is that now the files, on the apple server, do not want to open without the Linux server being still hooked up. They would like to take the Linux server off. It seems Archicad is looking for the same path it, even if it no longer needs it. The work around is to open all the files and resave them on the Apple server. (2 or 3 people for 2 or 3 days)

The Linux Server used NFS file system. It seems that the network guru can not make the shared file path exactly the same on the Mac server as it was on the Linux server.

Has anyone seen or better solved this type of problem.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
When you say the files on the apple server do not want to open what do you mean? Is there a file not found error.
Any reason the shared path can't be the same. AFAIK you can just copy the share point over to the new server, share it, and the mounted directory on the client machine would be the same path.
David Pacifico
Booster
They get a spinning beach ball that doesn't end.
AFAIK you can just copy the share point over to the new server, share it, and the mounted directory on the client machine would be the same path
You would think, but what the network gurus are telling me is that while the Linux server would be: ip_address/home/ClientName
On the Apple however it is impossible to get the share to appear that way, it will always be ip_address/home or ip_address/ClientName. You can’t have nested folders
David Pacifico, RA

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have the network guru check out the file service admin guide @

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacOSXSrvr10.3_FileServicesAdminGuide.pdf

On page 27 there is a section called "Resharing NFS Mounts as AFP Share Points." I'm not sure if this is any help at all but it seems relevant.

I would also recommend posting this question on the http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/macos-x-server mailing list. They are a extremely knowlegable group that i'm sure can help you out faster than it would take for two people to re-save all that info.

Good luck
David Pacifico
Booster
Thank you
I will pass it on to the Network guru
David Pacifico, RA