BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac G5 Recommendations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am contemplating purchasing a new computer. I am debating on buying the low end G5 or the 1.25 ghz G4. There is about a $400 price difference. Does anyone that has used the G5 recommend buying it? Are there are bugs? Is it worth the extra $400 in the long run? What are your thoughts? Also, I heard that sometime real soon apple was going to come out with a new model for the G5 and stop making the 1.6 ghz and replace it with a single 1.8 ghz for the same price ($1800). Has anyone heard anything about that?
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Mike,

Your return on investment will be alot greater on a G5 than it will on a G4. The reason for this is that the G5 will support 64bit processing where as the G4 won't.

Currently the G5 running Panther (OSx.3) and AC only run in 32 bit but at some point (maybe years) they will go to 64bit and therefore there will be a massive speed jump.

I would certainly go for a G5 and the 1.8 dual is much better than the 1.6 if you can stretch your budget a little more.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bite the bullet and buy the G5.. you won't regret it! I had the same dillema a month ago. I was watching a maxed out G4 dual 1.25 and a G5 dual 2.0gHz on eBay.. I paid $2600 for the G5 and I can tell you it has been exceptional. I didn't realize how much I multitask! I am actually thinking about buying a second monitor to utilize this new found speed boost!

+pablo
Anonymous
Not applicable
Without a doubt go with the G5 its light years quicker than the G4 machines. Its great and will be better once more software especially ArchiCAD is rewritten for it.

Why dont you buy one of the refurbed Virginia Tech G5's and own a piece of Apple History

There should also be new Powermacs out in the next week or two you may pick up an older model cheaper.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Xserve G5 would look great in an architect's office. Of course ArchiCAD will not take advantage of it, but network rendering programs such as Cinema4D will.

xRack

Start with ( 8 ) xServers G5

• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5's each
• 512MB DDR400 ECC SDRAM - 2x256
• 80GB ADM (1x80GB Serial ATA)
• Mac OS X Server, 10-seat License

Why not have a super computer at your desk?

What were those lottery numbers?
Aussie John
Newcomer
Unless you are getting a great deal on a G5 it is quite possible a new update is on the horizon (ie by end of month?)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hear rumors about a G5 "Quadra" - 4 processors in one box.

Aussie John
Newcomer
Burginger wrote:

I read that too but I wouldnt put a sheep station on it happening too soon
Cheers John
[/size]
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Aussie wrote:
Burginger wrote:

I read that too but I wouldnt put a sheep station on it happening too soon
You Aussies and your sheep! What the heck is a sheep station?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Aussie John
Newcomer
Dave wrote:
You Aussies and your sheep! What the heck is a sheep station?
There used to be a saying that Australia [its economy] rode on the back of a sheep - ie sheep were valuable and wool drove the economy.
hence a sheep station (US substitute - cattle ranch) was once a valuable thing. Mind you a bale of wool sold the other day for US$ 5,000,000
Cheers John
[/size]
Learn and get certified!