Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

NVIDIA QUADRO FX540 vs. NVIDIA FX series (5900 i.e.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I got (by mistake) NVIDIA QUADRO FX540 graphics adapter. Question is - how good or bad it is comparing to NVIDIA FX series (specificly for ArchiCAD and other CAD software)?

How far I`ve found QUADRO FX540 is entry level card for professional 3D applications, but FX series is for gaming , video, etc. Is there are any reviews or comparisions ? or just personal opinions ?

Thanks a lot
3 REPLIES 3
Djordje
Ace
Check here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/compatibility.php?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
there is nothing about fx540 & nothing about comparing them:(
Anonymous
Not applicable
The NVIDIA gamer series of graphics cards are targeted more towards the gaming trend, where the Quadro series are targeted toward the high end / graphics / CAD users.

Essentially what this means in english is the following: The gamer series of cards feature overclocking, rapid response memory optimization, and customizability. While these are all good, they are not targetting the high end CAD / Graphic Design / Video, etc. etc. users. I have noticed that on several of the current releases for the gamer video drivers, i have seen various stability issues with ArchiCAD (nothing major, but minor delays in redraws after zoom, or having to manually rebuild plotmaker files). These symptoms stem from the fact that the drivers of the gamer series are optimized for rapid, on the fly computations, which are run on the chipset, then cleared, and a new one is run, so on and so forth. These cards aren't specifically built for a steady run of computations that video editing, and CAD would require from them. In a nutshell, the Quadro is targeted at users that don't need all the high level processes that you'd need for the latest and greatest game. The Quadro series of drivers are meticulously optimized with a variety of high end computing applications in mind.

Now. . .that being said, I haven't personally seen or run any benchmarks, or compatibility tests with the Quadro cards on ArchiCAD, but, I don't see why you shouldn't be happy with the Quadro card.