Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Pallets lost on space

Rick Thompson
Expert
I would think there should be an easy way to fix this, but maybe not. I decided to install AC11 on my Mac PowerBook. I exported and imported the work environment file from my work computer.. with 2 monitors.. duh:) Now, I have several pallets I can't view as they did not readjust to the one monitor, and are nowhere to be found. Funny, sorta. This is a somewhat hypothetical question, since I assume (but haven't yet done so) plug in a monitor to the power book and move them over, then reset the working environment settings, but it seems there should be some way to get them back without doing that? I have closed the pallets and reopened them.. still they are over in the no monitor zone.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Rick,

You have to re-create your palette layout scheme.

With your WE loaded, use the Windows menu to choose one of the standard layout schemes, designed for a single monitor so everything will show up. Recreate, save, export as backup, etc in the WE.

I try to maintain two custom palette schemes for single and dual monitors, but have sometimes been caught by this too. 😞 It would be nice if AC performed like some other applications and automatically placed invisible palettes in the viewable area. This isn't a tough thing to do: OS X and XP have system calls that return the current display area in pixels (based on resolution, and how many monitors were detected). So, AC "knows" that these palettes are in the black hole, it just does nothing about it.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Thanks.. I did "realize".. after posting.. I could set just the pallets to the default and rearrange them, then reset the custom one. I was somewhat disturbed that AC (or the OS?) didn't automatically do this though, and thought maybe I was missing something.

thanks Karl
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Karl Ottenstein
Rick wrote:
I was somewhat disturbed that AC (or the OS?) didn't automatically do this though,...
'welcome, Rick. It is the application's job (not the OS) to position its windows/palettes, which is why I mentioned that the technology is in both OS's to detect invisible dialogs/palettes...and used by other manufacturers...but not yet by GS.

Regards,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB