Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Pen weight & Templates

Dennis Lee
Booster
Hi, I just got my hands on AC9. I've been through the training guide level 1 & 2, and have managed to grasp some of the basic concepts of the virtual building. I have also been reading this forum for a while, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on:

1) What is the best way to set up your pen weights ? - considering the AC9 library objects' predefined colors, as well as other common objects such as MSA detailer. Seems like MSA and MaxATS as well as default ArchiCAD all have different pen setups.

2) Related to the above question, which template / detailer should one start off using? Or am I expected to start off with blank ArchiCAD and build my own?

I'm very concerned about the plot quality, so I'd like to know what pen I should use to model everything before I do everything. I mean even when I'm drawing my first title block, I need to use some sort of "pens" to get this set up, right? Is there a "best practice" concerning this kind of stuff?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
37 REPLIES 37
__archiben
Booster
Paul wrote:
The floor slab plan example I can understand, but intrigued as to the purpose of the overlays you describe?
it's typically when services modelled on one storey are required for information purposes on others...

• below ground drainage (-1 site) with ground floors and slabs (0 gnd);
• lighting (level x) with floor/roof framing (level x+1) when space is tight.

... to name but two. and by showing power, lighting, plumbing, etc in a pen unique to the function it is easy to print sheets with these elements shown in full colour against a standard b+w background.

of course, it all depends on the scale and nature of the project, but if the template is set up to take advantage of specific functions like this from the get-go, it makes for easy and flexible documenting later when a new drawing type is required half way through construction.

below, some examples (see comments....)

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
roof framing plan of approximately the same area: note the lighting layout appears as contextual information. the bulk of the elements are using pens-by-weight - but taking the lighting out of the weight pens and assigning a unique pen to it means it can be changed without affecting the rest of the elements in the view.

--->
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
plumbing emphasised on slab plan view. i have also dialled down the foundation block pen from what is a solid black in other views to a light grey.

--->
b e n f r o s t
Paul King
Mentor
Interesting!

I am assuming the overlays are happening in layouts?

I have been aware of the capability,but have never struck a situation where it occurred to me to use it . I confess to cutting & pasting the elements themselves on the rare occasions when e.g. the same 2D services need to be shown on two stories for some particular purpose

You have inspired me to do better!
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Paul wrote:
He inspires us all to do better. Especially Graphisoft!

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Paul wrote:
I am assuming the overlays are happening in layouts?
not always. the first one isn't. in fact, the pen-by-function actually comes in to its own more when they aren't overlays - an overlay can be given its own penset and therefore can be 'static' weight pens.

but if you start out as you mean to go on it gives you extra flexibility. matthew may give some of his own examples - i know he has pen functions like 'section cut lines' that are functions of a graphical standard rather than functions of the building. but that is slightly too much for me. like you, i prefer to just deal with simple, single pen weights for most elements and deal with only a few discrete building functions with their own pen.

karl's example of composite wall skins is another that i use. i also tend to pre-assign my wall linings with colours based on the linings rating - fire/water/accoustic/etc... it's only really useful in details and super-enlarged plans when printed, but more usefully, it's a really great working indicator: some things are all too easily forgotten!

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
Paul wrote:
aww, fellas! cut out the praise. i'm just in it for my meal ticket.
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Paul wrote:
That is pure freakin' genius! Simple, but effective! I could have used that 4 years ago!