Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Print screen and docking on a Mac...gaaaahhh!!!???????

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi
Angry (really...) macnewbie with a question...


When say the 3D window top bar suddenly appears under the info box...how the #€%€#€##% can I get it out of there to resize it without moving the info box???

I hope it's all me...but the docking gives me the shivers...big time...I have sworn to give the Mac-OS a serious try. I want to learn because everyone says the mac is sooo good!
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
15 REPLIES 15
TomWaltz
Participant
Move the Info Box out of the way so you can get the the top of the 3D window to move it.

While I'm a big Mac fan, I hate that you can only move windows by the top and resize them by the lower right.
Tom Waltz
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
TomWaltz wrote:
Move the Info Box out of the way so you can get the the top of the 3D window to move it.

While I'm a big Mac fan, I hate that you can only move windows by the top and resize them by the lower right.
SIGH....thanks ayyway!
Congrats to your new job!
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
TomWaltz wrote:
While I'm a big Mac fan, I hate that you can only move windows by the top and resize them by the lower right.
Yes, it's infuriating!

This is one of the few good things Apple could copy from Microsoft.

And on PC, AC will remember the position of the 3D window!

Cheers,
Link.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
When say the 3D window top bar suddenly appears under the info box...how the #€%€#€##% can I get it out of there to resize it without moving the info box???
Moving to the Mac from Windows can be a bit unnerving for a while, but it will pay off handsomely - the Mac is not only a very productive environment, but a real pleasure to work with (in my opinion at least).

Some applications either bind palettes to windows so they don't obstruct them, or deliberately adjust the window size to avoid overlap. ArchiCAD doesn't do this, but one easy solution is not to place palettes across the top of the screen. I keep mine primarily along the left, but also a strip across the bottom. That arrangement suits my screen proportions well too.
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
I hope it's all me...but the docking gives me the shivers...big time...I have sworn to give the Mac-OS a serious try. I want to learn because everyone says the mac is sooo good!
I'm not sure what aspects of the dock are the problem, but I recommend using the 'Hiding' feature if you haven't already. The dock is then only visible when your pointer moves to the screen edge where the dock is placed.

Your message title suggests you wanted screen printing too. If so, take a look at the "Keyboard & Mouse' panel in the "System Preferences". There is a tab for "Keyboard Shortcuts", and you should find key-presses to grab a snapshot of either the entire screen or a specified area.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ralph wrote:
I'm not sure what aspects of the dock are the problem,
"Docking" is the term used when palettes glue to the screen edges. Archicad handles it a little weirdly. Certain other apps don't allow windows under docked palettes. But if the palettes are docked together, you should be able to move them together by grabbing the topleftmost one.

Print Screen = Command-Shift-3. This saves a picture of the whole screen. It's saved to your desktop by default.

Command-Shift-4 gives you a crosshair cursor, which you drag over the screen area you want saved.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Thomas wrote:
Print Screen = Command-Shift-3. This saves a picture of the whole screen. It's saved to your desktop by default.
Command-Shift-4 gives you a crosshair cursor, which you drag over the screen area you want saved.
Thanks Thomas.

I suggested looking under System Preferences because those key-presses are now optional/customisable. I couldn't assume they were the same on his machine, and it also helps to know where these can be looked up (there are many other handy shortcuts there too!)
Ralph Wessel BArch
Rakela Raul
Participant
TomWaltz wrote:
While I'm a big Mac fan, I hate that you can only move windows by the top and resize them by the lower right.


Yes, it's infuriating! Smile

This is one of the few good things Apple could copy from Microsoft.


Another thing that i always use in Windows is the list files by TYPE....i know MAC should have it somewhere but still looking.....so far, im liking my little mac a lot
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Rakela wrote:
Another thing that i always use in Windows is the list files by TYPE....i know MAC should have it somewhere but still looking.....so far, im liking my little mac a lot
List by "Kind"
Ralph Wessel BArch
Rakela Raul
Participant
ohhh nooo!!! thanku Ralph

i like it much better today !!!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!