Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problem | US Keyboard keeps coming back when archicad opens

archadallas
Contributor

Hi all,

I am based in the UK and I have two Keyboards, UK and GR. Every time I open the Archicad UKI Solo, US keyboard it appears on my keyboard layout. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there any setting that enables that and can disable?

17 REPLIES 17

Ah, OK. 

There are other programs which also seemed to have caused similar issues for windows : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-keeps-automatically-adding-en-us-keybo...  and some PITA registry fixes, which I would rather not pursue.

fingers crossed. (probably won't be using archicad much longer anyways 🙂

Botonis
Advisor

There is a registry fix for shortcuts in Archicad which is related to the keyboard language. I am also using US and GR but never had a problem like yours.

In any case you can try the following and see if it is related or not:

- Open "Regedit" in the Windows start menu
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\GRAPHISOFT\ARCHICAD-64\ARCHICAD-64 xx.0.0 INT R1\KeyMode Shortcuts registry key and change the value of it from 0 to 1

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

Hi Botonis, unfortunately this trick doesn't work. You never had a problem because you are using US keyboard already. When I was in Greece and using the Greek version I had US/GR and no problem at all. Now that I am in the UK and I want ot use UK/GR keyboards US is always comes back when opening Archicad. It is an issue and the tech team has already confirmed this bug. They said that will be fixed on version 28.0 so I am just waiting for the release of Archicad 28 and I really hope that this will not be an issue anymore as it is really annoying in everyday use.

Yes, I can confirm that the REGEDIT solution does not work when your default computer language is another English (E.g. UK)

Botonis
Advisor

This fix was related to how shortcuts work when changing keyboard languages. The problem you are having is totally different but I sent it just in case.

Botonis Botonakis
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Botonis
Advisor

I remember having this issue but not specifically with Archicad but with Windows in general. The UK language was reappering although I had the US set as default with GR as secondary.

I 've searched several users having similar problems in windows 10/11

just check this post with some fixes. I cannot remember which one fixed mine but it feels like it is not an Archicad bug but basically a windows one.

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-windows-keeps-automatically-adding-en-us-keyboard-layout-in-windows-10/

There is a certain order of actions to perform for this problem to stop reappearing.

Botonis Botonakis
Joshn4u
Newcomer

It sounds like Archicad might be defaulting to the US keyboard layout. You can try this:

1. Check your Language Settings in Windows.
  2. Remove the US layout if it's there.
  3. Set your preferred layout (UK or GR) as default.

This should stop the US layout from appearing when you open Archicad. Hope this solves it!

Unfortunately is not working. I have already checked this and as I said previously people from Graphisoft already checked and they confirm that we are talking about a bug. Also as I mentioned before US keyboard is coming back but it doesn't show under Language Settings. For now I have to add it under the settings and then remove it again.