cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Slowing down and crashing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Looking for answers to slowdown and crashing problems.

New laptop (6 months old, 512MB ram, 64MB NVIDIA GeForceFX video card) has recently starting performing very slowly, freezing up, and/or disappearing instantly.

I did a repair/reinstall which had no effect.

Projects that are 13MB have become unworkable yet the computer was handling them relatively easily 2 weeks ago

I was going to add more ram but the IT doubts this is the problem.

Any ideas on what might be the problem.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Could be spyware/malware and/or virus. I have had good success with Webroot Spysweeper (www.webroot.com) and AVG (Grisoft), both of which I believe have free versions. Make sure you have a spyware AND an anti-virus program and run full scans. (BTW, I had problems with Norton/Symantec programs causing slowdowns and dumped them.)
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Richard.

I have done both of these although we use Norton. Did you suspect Norton or know for sure it was the cause. I will uninstall Norton and see what happens (with internet off).
I can't PROVE it was Norton, but I can say that as soon as I got rid of it, many problems went away and the system was far faster. The worst was loading drawings, where loading a drawing might take many more minutes to load with Norton Anti-Virus, etc. than without. I still keep Norton SystemWorks around, but have disabled the memory-resident portions of it.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
we have a similar problem...this package is extremly slow...to the point....of sheer frustration....one thing that has helped in the PM...deleting the PM_UPD file (move it to another folder just in case)