Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Switching to Apple Macbook Pro???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I am looking at switching to a Mac from a PC! Looking to get the new Mac Book pro 17". Has anyone out there got any tips or advice?
Would like to learn more about Apple, pros and cons. if any???
Any comments appreciated...
17 REPLIES 17
Erich
Contributor
The rumor is that when we finally get Leopard (OSX 10.5) the reboot to get from one OS to the other will be a bit easier with a type of fast switching. I think this is Apple's way to try to compete with the virtualization options.

Still it is a bit unnatural to run Windoze on my Mac.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
TomWaltz
Participant
Erich wrote:
The rumor is that when we finally get Leopard (OSX 10.5) the reboot to get from one OS to the other will be a bit easier with a type of fast switching. I think this is Apple's way to try to compete with the virtualization options.

Still it is a bit unnatural to run Windoze on my Mac.
This was listed on the Apple site for a while, then removed, so I would noot hold my breath for it.
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
This was listed on the Apple site for a while, then removed, so I would noot hold my breath for it.
yeah, but mr jobs demo'ed it at the developer conference recently. and mr jobs hates looking like a fool so i'm guessing that whether or not they're having problems with it, it WILL get fixed and released . . .
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
yeah, but mr jobs demo'ed it at the developer conference recently. and mr jobs hates looking like a fool so i'm guessing that whether or not they're having problems with it, it WILL get fixed and released . . .
In the keynote he stated that Bootcamp will be built into Leopard and would remain the best choice for compatibility and performance, but will still require a reboot so Parallels and VMware will still beat it on convenience. The only real change is being built in rather than a beta download.
__archiben
Booster
Matthew wrote:
In the keynote he stated that Bootcamp will be built into Leopard and would remain the best choice for compatibility and performance, but will still require a reboot so Parallels and VMware will still beat it on convenience. The only real change is being built in rather than a beta download.
i seem to recall him saying that it actually puts the system you are using to sleep so that you can simply switch back to wake it. not like fast user switching, but far more convenient than parallels since you get native performance combined with fast 'startup' . . . maybe i was dreaming again?

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Matthew wrote:
i seem to recall him saying that it actually puts the system you are using to sleep so that you can simply switch back to wake it. not like fast user switching, but far more convenient than parallels since you get native performance combined with fast 'startup' . . . maybe i was dreaming again?

ben
I don't remember that bit, maybe I fell asleep. Would be nice though.
Dwight
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
…maybe I fell asleep. Would be nice though.
Steve can certainly put me to sleep when he is treading water between new, revolutionary machine releases.
Dwight Atkinson
Rakela Raul
Participant
thanku very much matthew
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16