Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Thinking of Switch to Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently I have a Windows Dell Precision 340 and it is connected to a HP DesignJet 430, there is a parallel cable between them and it has plotted beautiful sheets for years.

New in the office is a Mac G5, and I am considering the switch, but I can't even consider it unless there is a good solution for the plotter. What do you use for your Mac connection?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Burginger
San Diego, CA
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not sure which works better, but I do know that this works as fast or faster than the old PC serial cable connection.

Ingredients:

Your Mac, hooked to your ethernet hub, a cat 5 cable from the hub to your printer, plug that into this little device which is plugged into your plotters serial port. That's it. Now go to the PLOTTER SETUP in ArchiCAD, enter the values. P.S. - When you install the Ethernet Adapter to the plotter it assigns an IP address, copy this (CUT & PASTE) and drop the number into the requester in ArchiCAD.

Go back to real work.

http://www.silex.jp/us/index.html

Click on External Print Servers - I have the 3100
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to update

A print server/network card will not give you any advantage over using the hp driver on the HP DesignJet 500 as connection & print is not a problem. The print orientation is a Mac Problem According to HP Technical Advise
HP said that they thought it had been sorted out in 10.2 But they also suggest i purchase a HPgl2 Card which may solve the issue of orientating the output.

I am Awaiting other Technical Advice before that option.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mbwolf wrote:
Just to update
A print server/network card will not give you any advantage over using the hp driver on the HP DesignJet 500 as connection & print is not a problem. The print orientation is a Mac Problem According to HP Technical Advise

HP said that they thought it had been sorted out in 10.2 But they also suggest i purchase a HPgl2 Card which may solve the issue of orientating the output.

I am Awaiting other Technical Advice before that option.
It's strange that no other printer company has problems with orienting pages printed from Macs. The HP service tech I spoke to blamed the poor HP driver and said not to expect much from HP in the way of help. The really strange thing is that HP is trying to market their machines to graphics people by giving away G5s.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you already have a network, one trip to FRY'S will get you a print server that works perfectly within minutes. HPGL Hewlett Packard Graphics Language card? Cost?

Mark
Rick Thompson
Expert
For the Mac you will probably need the Jetdirect 300X... not the cheaper 170 series... they will not communicate with the Mac. You might also need to get a PC and configure it. There is a setting that is set to automatic. You can choose between "bydirectional" and centronics. I have an Oce 9300 and the jetdirect box died. The new 300X had this setting to auto and I could not get it to work, but switching to centronocs fixed it. The HP support was very helpful. Also, they upgraded the Webjet Admin software in Sept which you will need in order to change this setting... if you need to. The CD that came with mine didn't have this option... another fun thing to fly in the dark with.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update
I wish to thank all for your input. We or(HP USA Anonymous Person Deserves Credit ) have fixed the problem.

I sent another tech support ticket to Hp This time via USA Site this was the reply

Hello Martin,

Thank you for contacting HP's Customer Support Center. We received your email regarding having drawings print long-edge first on the HP Designjet 500, using the raster driver for Mac OS X.

The HP Designjet 500 raster driver for Mac OS X does not have a rotate option. As a result, all drawings print short-edge first if you select a paper size that is provided by the driver. To get around this limitation, create a custom paper size wider than tall. Be aware that the orientation setting in page setup will behave opposite than expected.

For example, say the HP Designjet 500 has a 36" roll of paper loaded. To conserve media, you wish to print an ARCH D-sized drawing (36"wide by 24"tall) long-edge first. Since the printer driver does not have a rotate option, create a custom paper size measuring 35.6"wide by 22.67" tall, with all margins set to 0". In Page Setup under Page Attributes, select the custom paper size you created, set orientation to portrait for a drawing in landscape orientation (and vice versa), and set printer to Any Printer.

Note: The HP Designjet 500 applies its hardware margins to the outside of the paper size selected in Page Setup. The printer's hardware margins are 0.67" (or 17 mm) for leading and trailing margins, and are 0.2" (5 mm). When exact dimensions of a paper size are important, subtract the printer's hardware margins from the desired dimensions to arrive at the custom paper size dimensions.

When you print to the HP Designjet 500, using the HP Designjet 500 raster driver for Mac OS X, the Macintosh does all of the processing and the HPGL/2 card is bypassed. Other companies may distribute an HPGL/2 RIP which would utilize that card.

Once again, thank you for contacting HP's Commercial Solutions Center.

Not Quite
First I had to Uninstall the print drivers
Then Update The Printer BIOS/Firmware to latest version for a second time reinstall the drivers & setup the Custom pages as per above
Still NO GO

After 3 reboots All started to Work Correctly For some Unknown Reason & all Prints as it should with no additional $$$cash outlay,
Despite HP Aust Advice
So off to work Finally

In my Hunt for Drivers Last night i found this place (ESP Print Pro
http://www.easysw.com/printpro/ )Which installed & worked. Looks like they could help with a lot of printing problems But this requires $$

Thanks Again
Martin
aahatimo
Newcomer
i am also thinking of making the switch.
my questions are a bit different than mark's original post.
how difficult is it to transition from pc's to the osx world?
what additional programs for basic office work are needed? i presently use act (not outlook) as a contact manager, mainly for scheduling and contacts between my palm phone and desktop. i use ms word and excel, paintshop pro. i use mozilla firefox as my browser & mozilla thunderbird for email. i am not locked into any of these programs. occasionally i use chief architect for old projects not brought into ac, but i will have a xp machine around.
matthew, and other bi-os folks, how easy is it for you to go back and forth between pc/osx?
thanks!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I chime in here? I have now made my move all my boxes are unpacked and I really like the new digs.

The G5 is a splended machine, with it I am using my dual 17" SyncMasters 172n's - VGA Flatscreens, the HP's (printers plotters) are on the network. I moved all of my existing data over to an external Firewire/USB drive now I just mount it from my Mac.

Web, (Safari), email (Mail), iLife applications (don't underestimate the power of these apps), AC r9, C4D r9, PhotoShop, Quark, MS Word they all work great and exchange data beween each other seemlessly. AC 9 is butter smooth OpenGL performance and the vector zooms and pans are snappier. Panther is a great implementation of the OSX, but Tiger will be even better.

I have been a windows user since AC 6.0 , at the same time I have had a Mac. Now that I am on just the Mac I have never felt more productive. Now my goal is to template, shortcut and script as much daily grind work as I possibly can. The only way to make money in architecture is when you can cut through a work load in half the time. Your project bid fees need to remain competitive but your method of getting the work out remains the only place where you can cheat. My way of cheating is to use a G5 Dual 2GHz Mac.
aahatimo
Newcomer
sounds great mark! which g5 did you get?
i am smiling a bit more than earlier, thanks.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]