Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Video Card Ratings

Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
Is there anywhere where the Video cards are rated. I'm buying a new one for one of my computers, and am too lazy to read the rating for each card. There are too many of them.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,
Vidio card data base.
At the very bottom of the forum index.
Peter Devlin
Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
I see where they are rated individually. I'm looking for a GS ranking based on the reports. Like which card works the best with AC9 and windows XP. Otherwise, you have to try and match up the card with one you want to buy. But I don't know which one I want to buy unless I read every report. Which I don't want to do.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,
My impression is that GS has not done this and probably won't.
I hope I'm wrong.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
...But I don't know which one I want to buy unless I read every report. Which I don't want to do.
Tom,
You probaly oughta' start reading...the likelyhood that Graphisoft would rate video Cards is nill. There's just too many external factors that could affect performance.

By the way...I noticed you're a "Sooner" ...that's awesome me too!

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
But I don't know which one I want to buy unless I read every report. Which I don't want to do.
Tom,

no one is going to say that THIS card is the absolutely, unquestionably the best card. You are going to have to make up you own mind... if you need to read every report to do that, that's what you have to do.

You know what? I feel your pain The good part is that there are lots of cards that will meet your needs. Just stay away from the ones people have had problems with.

Good luck,

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just popped in a ATI-X800X in my G5... sweeeet

+pablo

AC9/C4D9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm lucky that the guy I'm currently dating turns out to be the best PC tech I've ever come across, so I'm letting him update my computer pretty much any way he wants.

I do have one question, though, and that's just that I want to make sure a PCI video card will in fact work with AC. I'm not up on these things at all, and I've never heard of those.

Last time I had to deal with this stuff, AGP and open GL were the buzz words, and he's telling me that AGP is out now, if I understood him correctly. I'm still running all the same software I have been, though, with current versions (except that I haven't yet loaded AC9).

TIA.

Wendy
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I assume you are talking about PCI-Express here.
The PCI-E standard is just talking about the way that the card connects to your motherboard, but doesn't actually affect the chip at all(just the speed), so any cards whose AGP versions work weell will work just as well in PCI-E
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
henrypootel wrote:
I assume you are talking about PCI-Express here.
The PCI-E standard is just talking about the way that the card connects to your motherboard, but doesn't actually affect the chip at all(just the speed), so any cards whose AGP versions work weell will work just as well in PCI-E
Got me what I'm talking about - I have no idea <g>. I've got a bad motherboard that needs to be replaced, and he says he can't give me an upgradeable one if I stick with the video card I have because the technology is now out of date, so apparently I have to get a new one to make the whole arrangement work and be of use for longer.

I'm not sure what he's proposing, but I'm leery of a $79 card when the one I've got cost $450 new. I've got an Nvidia card now, but I don't think that's what he's proposing for the new setup, so I can't speak to AGP and PCI versions of the same card.

He claims this cheap little card will blow my current card away. I guess I can always get another one if it doesn't. I just need to be sure the format will work with AC and formZ, because if not, I want to keep the current card since I've been happy with it.

Wendy