cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

frequent crashes with AC24 iMac

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,

i am wondering anyone else experiencing absurd amount of crashes with archicad 24?

since the beginning of archicad 24 release, i've been experiencing frequent crashes. recently, it is crashing at least 5-6 time a day.

when it's bad day, like today, it crashes 20 odd times in the span of 2 hours.

our local (NZ) distributer has been really a great help, but this is really impacting my business.
new update (3022) didn't not change my situation.

cherry on top, crash report has network error which does not upload crash report automatically. then i have to upload manually to my local distributer.

any other case like mine?

i am using iMac (2017)
3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 570 4 GB
22 REPLIES 22
genarch
Enthusiast
YES!
I'm glad to hear others are having the same problems with instability that I am using ArchiCAD 24. I'm running Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave on an iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB, 32 GB RAM. I'm generally used to ArchiCAD being very stable until the change to v24. I am very tempted to go back to v23 just so I can get through a day's work without crashes.
MacOS Sonoma

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

Mac Studio M2 Max 2024
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Can you please clarify whether the most recent update in ArchiCad 24 is supposed to resolve this issue (it doesn't) or is still required that we modify the Prefs Editor? I am not able to open the Prefs Editor app for security reasons. My iMac crashes at least once a day and crashes multiple times while on Zoom with Archicad and clients. It is very disruptive to my work and relationships and is also likely slowly destroying a brand new computer. My IT person sees nothing on the MAC end of things. I need to know whether or not paying him to manage the Prefs Editor and losing several days worth of work to take him my computer is required.

Thank you.
Karl Ottenstein
cabeer wrote:
Can you please clarify whether the most recent update in ArchiCad 24 is supposed to resolve this issue (it doesn't) or is still required that we modify the Prefs Editor? I am not able to open the Prefs Editor app for security reasons. My iMac crashes at least once a day and crashes multiple times while on Zoom with Archicad and clients. It is very disruptive to my work and relationships and is also likely slowly destroying a brand new computer. My IT person sees nothing on the MAC end of things. I need to know whether or not paying him to manage the Prefs Editor and losing several days worth of work to take him my computer is required.
The most recent update was earlier than the January 20 post by Minh, so yes, you need to do the Prefs Editor thing. The Prefs Editor thing should take one minute and there is no reason for an IT person to do it. Nobody in your office has an Administrator account on your Mac?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, Karl. I am my office and Admin of my computer
However, when I download the Prefs Editor App and go to open it, I get a window that says "Prefs Editor" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
I don't really know where to go from there. Before asking my Mac guy to help me with this, I wanted to make sure it was necessary and would actually fix the problem.
mikas
Expert
You'll have to make some extra maneuveurs with Mojave and Catalina.
They take place in System Prefs, Security & Privacy, General tab -> Open Anyway, and then one more time "Open" then asked.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

I believe you have to do this in a certain period of time after first trying to open the app. The option to open the app will dissappear from there after a couple of minutes if I recall it right.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi AC Community,

I am having issues with AC24 files crashing immediately after opening. The file was working perfectly and was saved properly the day prior and the next day will not open.

After the file crashes, I will try and open the file again, but it is then locked by an .lck file.

I have tried opening it through my finder window, through Archicad startup and a new Archicad file but with no success.

I am using macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you! I was able to download the app and edit the prefs. Hopefully this will work!
I very much appreciate the response and help.
Karl Ottenstein
Sorry, didn't realize a 3rd party app was recommended for download. 😞 You can also - if you don't pay for internet data (it's a huge download) - and don't want 3rd party stuff... you can edit preferences with a sledge hammer by installing Apple's XCode from the App Store, as XCode will open/edit .plist files. As a developer tool, that is kind of like installing ARCHICAD to convert a JPEG to a PNG though LOL.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
See:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/133933/

and

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70994
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Minh,

Thank you for posting the information. I followed the steps in the article but there was not an option to disable geometry shader. See attached screenshot. I search other keyword to see if it was under another dropdown but did not have any luck.

Do you know if there is another location for it or workaround for this issue.

Thank you,
Kristyn