Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

macOS Catalina and ArchiCAD 23

Apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else. I did do a search for the keyword "Catalina" but didn't see anything on this topic.

Question: Since ArchiCAD 23 was released on the same day as macOS Catalina [edit: I see now Catalina will be released in October], (and was three-months behind standard release date, maybe benefitting by utilizing developer copies of Catalina), my question is:

"Will ArchiCAD 23 be compatible with macOS Catalina?"

...or at least, more so than usual? There is usually the dreaded do or die warning to not update the macOS generally until December or so. @LaszloNagy any word?

Thanks!
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
As with the previous poster, I too was told NOT to upgrade to Catalina and keep AC 23 off all machines that that had it. I'm stuck in a dilemma I HAVE to upgrade several Mac workstations and the new iMacPro will ONLY run Catalina... I've spoken with Apple today and you cannot go backward to the older OS, as 32-bit-anything is not supported (the older OS won't even run in the new machine). Is anyone running Catalina AND AC 23? I can't afford to wait 3 months either. My business partner is in "I told you so" mode and wants to return to another AutoDesk product for the Mac ASAP. Is ANYONE using is and what is your experience thus far? I'm desperate for an update.
Cheers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE: I don't know if this will help anyone, but this is the response that I received from GraphiSoft this AM, they sent me this link https://gsoft.link/macOSCatalinaAdvice. However, when specifically asked if the release is reasonably functioning they didn't answer the question, other that AC 23 was "designed with Catilina in mind". It seems like a non-comittal answer to me. Also, some official correspondence on the ArchiCAD site say "wait for 3 months"... others say "wait until spring". I'm assuming that the latter means wait until the AC 24. I'd love to hear if anyones else has made the jump and what their experience has been.
Cheers!
spodonahue wrote:
UPDATE: I don't know if this will help anyone, but this is the response that I received from GraphiSoft this AM, they sent me this link https://gsoft.link/macOSCatalinaAdvice. However, when specifically asked if the release is reasonably functioning they didn't answer the question, other that AC 23 was "designed with Catilina in mind". It seems like a non-comittal answer to me. Also, some official correspondence on the ArchiCAD site say "wait for 3 months"... others say "wait until spring". I'm assuming that the latter means wait until the AC 24. I'd love to hear if anyones else has made the jump and what their experience has been.
Cheers!
I share a coworking space with a colleague (we're each sole proprietors) who runs ArchiCAD 23 and Catalina. He says he has ZERO problems so far and he uses it every day. I still have many clients (I consult) using v22 so I have to stay in Majove for a while longer or I would probably upgrade to Catalina.

I think you really have no choice but to "Go For It!" Good luck and please let us know how you do.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Marc H
Advisor
If it helps, I agree. I plan to first upgrade to Catalina in about a month (expecting AC23 bugs will settle out), and then load a AC23 on top. (I'm currently with my AC22.) Catalina claims higher performance, which I'm interested in on my 2016 MBP. It also claims the ability to work cross-platform with the iPad and pencil, which is very interesting as well.

If you have several Macs to upgrade, perhaps pilot an upgrade on one of them?

Note: In reading up on Catalina, the 64-bit standard is set high, so older software is on its own. I did find Paragon has an NTFS version for Catalina (Windows to Mac flash drive compatibility), as does Sophos (AV) Also, if I read correctly, Catalina has a CD media reader, (e.g, read old drawing archives).
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
ricarc
Participant
I "made the jump" and found only problems with using Archisuite/Cigraph and driving my Printer as a scanner.
Otherwise I met often the stop for about ten seconds of the Arrow it doesn't works until passed that short time.
Nothing more.
DGSketcher
Legend
I upgraded to Catalina as a new clean install together with my "solo" copy of AC23 yesterday and haven't seen any show stoppers or crashes yet. The install was a little frustrating. After installing AC23, the licence manager then points you to the software key driver page to download & update. Make sure you download the right driver. You then have to reinstall AC and select the repair option. Not sure if Catalina is much different from Mojave, but at least the constant reminders from Apple to upgrade have stopped.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rex wrote:
spodonahue wrote:
Cheers!
I share a coworking space with a colleague (we're each sole proprietors) who runs ArchiCAD 23 and Catalina. He says he has ZERO problems so far and he uses it every day. I still have many clients (I consult) using v22 so I have to stay in Majove for a while longer or I would probably upgrade to Catalina.

I think you really have no choice but to "Go For It!" Good luck and please let us know how you do.
After reading the responses from others, I went ahead and did it and made the first jump on my MacBook Pro. So far so good, I only had one instance where AC23 wouldn’t hold my profile for custom menus/tool pallets, but after a re-boot everything appears to be fine.
Eduardo Rolon
adamtoox,

Please write in English, if not you risk getting banned since that is a requirement to post in the forum.

Translation:
No other software that I own (the entire Adobe suite of ongoing processing) is so threatened by OS updates. It becomes frustrating.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator