cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

panning with trackpad or magic mouse

heathldesign
Expert

good day. i've been having an issue with panning using the magic mouse and magic track pad. when swiping in plan view it should, (does sometimes, used to, and does very well in all other apps), have what i'm calling inertia. swipe, lifting your finger off and it pans or "glides" but doesn't stop when your finger comes off the TP or mouse, it slowly drifts to a stop. you will know this trait from scrolling through PDFs or web pages. flip your finger up or down and this web page will scroll a long way and slowly stop. this is essential for panning wide areas beyond the distance your fingers can travel on the TP or mouse. the other option, that i am forced to use, is to zoom out, then zoom back in to the location i want. this is fine when you have a very wide plan and need to hunt and find a small area. but if i just want to move a few rooms over, or the plan isn't that big, zooming is very inefficient. for several versions now and two different machines, this inertia effect has been spotty and useless. i swipe and the screen only pans as far as my finger moves, and if i do this several times, it will eventually glide. sometimes it glides the first time, but then not the subsequent swipes, but most of the time i swipe and swipe and swipe, panning in little steps until it decides to glide. as a result i am constantly zooming in and out. this is only happening in AC. is anyone else experiencing this? and if you don't use a magic mouse style mouse, how do you get this inertia effect? or do you? so far Graphisoft have just said, "oh, there are some issues with TP and magic mouse." 

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14.4.1

MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC27 5030 Apple Silicon USA
8 REPLIES 8
heathldesign
Expert

no body? ok, can anyone confirm that they DON'T experience these issues?

I don't typically use a trackpad with Archicad but do have a both the magic trackpad and the built-in trackpad on my MBP. I just tested with AC27 and can confirm your observations.

Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x

We use an add-on for the Magic Mouse called Middle which enables the middle click to pan and zoom. 

I wish Apple would just enable it as part of macOS or bring back the Mighty Mouse. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.1
macOS Sonoma (14.5)

I use a Logitech MX Master 3, which I love, and have also used a Kensington trackball. I can't imagine using a trackpad for everyday work in Archicad. Luckily I don't have to.

Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x

i just tried this in 3D and the issue is not present. see vid. it has very nice inertia in pan and orbit. so far GS has said," well you know, there are some issues with the magic mouse and TP." no, there are issues with AC. clearly, if the function works reliably in 3D, i fail to see why it wouldn't work reliably in 2D. it's a bug, so fix it. this is a gesture that is used across applications, as i pointed out, using this very website for example, and the fact that it works perfectly in 3D within AC makes it very frustrating when it doesn't work in 2D. we become used to these gestures and learn to invoke them without thinking about it. to be able to use them automatically across apps as well as in 3D in AC and then have to remember to break the habit in 2D is absurd. it's a bug, fix it.

hey Geoff,

how do you pan with that mouse? just click and drag, or does it somehow offer the glide i was talking about?

I just middle-click & drag for pan, but the buttons and scroll wheels are very customizable so there may be a setting that achieves what you are looking for.

Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x

can you set the side scroll wheel to pan with AC? looks like some features are limited to some apps.

Setup info provided by author