BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

printing problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a printing (I think) problem- I cannot get Archicad to print in color on my HP 940C, 1220C or 455CA. I using Mac OS X Tiger, cups, and have upgraded everything, done a printer reset, reinstalled all drivers, etc.. Other programs print fine. I cannot locate any dialog about restricting Archicad to print in grayscale only (all views-- floor plan, 3D, all, print in grayscale unless I first make a PDF, then print).

Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Plot thickens:

This does NOT happen when I use the HP supplied drivers, just the CUPS/GIMP ones. Problem is, this renders my 455CA useless as a color machine unless I first make a PDF, then print.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Make sure you Print, not Plot, to the machines. Check all settings in the Archicad sub-menu sub-dialog within the dialog that pops up when you invoke the Print command. If everything is OK there, and other apps still print like they should but not Archicad, re-install Archicad (including the latest update).
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
No. I am printing, not plotting, and all toggles are set the same as for other programs. Very odd indeed. Worked on it all afternoon yesterday, and same results. Archicad will make a perfectly fine PDF, just not print in color using the Gimp/Cups drives, which drive the HP 455CA on Mac OS X Tiger.
Thomas Holm
Booster
AH - you're using thrid-party drivers because HP doesn't support the Mac platform! I did that a few years ago too, with an non-OSX-supported Epson inkjet. I'm sorry to say that the Gimp drivers aren't always 100% OK, and Archicad's printing might put high demands on it. I have no solution ohter than try to find better drivers. Maybe you could Publish to pdfs and print those instead.
(edited) You might also try to upgrade Archicad to 10 or 11. It also gets better, you know 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's my work-around. This just started. I suspect the Cups/Gimp drivers, but don't know enough about them to purge them and re-install. They do use PPD's no?
Thomas Holm
Booster
Rip wrote:
They do use PPD's no?
Think so. But OSX needs both a driver and a ppd, I think.
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Rip,

I've been using an old HP 455CA with a the previous AC 9. See this thread; http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=14695&highlight=

Sometimes failing to set the 'Location' prior to plotting gives the type of problems you seem to be having.

HTH

Mark

Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------
Mark Wallace Architect
Collegeville, PA

Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb RAM, OS 10.4.9
ArchiCAD 10 Bld 1183
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK guys. Upgraded to latest driver from SourceForge. Reinstalled Archicad 10 from original disk. Printed like a champ for a week.

Came in this morning, launched Archicad, printed to the HP 1220C and bingo: grayscale. Printed to HP 455CA, Grayscale. Printed to HP 940C. Same result.

I am so confused by this. Did nothing unusual, just launched Archicad. Did not rebuild permisions, did not reboot computer, nothing.
Learn and get certified!