Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Building Model to GDL Object

christiandcdc
Participant
Hoping someone can help me out. I've search and found similar topics, but no resolution.

I am trying to assemble a group of buildings onto a site. Each building is a separate file with varying floor levels, etc so using .mod files won't work. In the past I have saved the building model from the 3D window as library object then simply placed in the separate site model as an object.

I am using AC17 and cannot seem to save the building model as a library part that will work in 3D. When placed, only a 2D plan representation will show. In the object settings it states "Invalid 3d symbol. Check script ..." I have tried both Save As>Object and Libraries and Objects>Save Selection As with no difference in results.

Is there a workflow I am missing and / or is there a work around (export as something else and reimport)? I don't need to edit or update the objects I am trying to make.

Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac OS X Lion 10.12.4
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
AC 20 USA
8 REPLIES 8
Erika Epstein
Booster
It sounds as if there is one or more invalid 3D elements.

If you try to place it in a new empty file does it generate a viable 3D model?

Do you get an error message in the original file when you generate the 3D model?

Try doing a new and reset (File + New and hold down the Alt or Option key) and then save the model as a 3D model.

What you are trying to do is find out which element(s) is causing this problem.

Let us know if this works
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
christiandcdc
Participant
Thanks for the reply. I am actually compiling several buildings from different files and done at different times (lucky enough to have done a lot of work in the same neighborhood). The projects done in or updated to AC17 all have the same issue. None generate errors on 3d generation (although I need to check if I turned off the error notification). I have a couple that are still in AC12 and they export perfectly (and quickly).

I successfully did a work around where I copied the file, turned off unneeded layers, and converted the entire building to a morph ... then unified the resulting morphs (union). Then I exported the morph as an Object. This worked perfectly through >Librairies and Objects >Save Selection As.

I'll messed around with placing in a new shell file and (merge?) the model didn't come through too well (missing 75% of everything). So obviously I don't think I understand how to place into an empty file.
MacBook Pro
Mac OS X Lion 10.12.4
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
AC 20 USA
Erika Epstein
Booster
Chris,
I was suggesting placing the library part into a new file.
You could also try doing a forward merge, merging your current file into a new one. This lets Archicad try to 'heal' itself. Depending on how corrupt or unstable an element is, the program will either right it or delete it and give you an error message that included identifiying the problem element(s). Then you could go back and fix them. You could then save your model successfully as a library part.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Im also having the same problem, try to save the building to an object and only the plan work, the 3D doesn't work at all.

I might try to converted to morph object
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Using separate .mod files works 100% fine, you need to
publish them separated by floors (1 mod / floor).

Then just import and adjust the correct elevation.
I am trying to assemble a group of buildings onto a site. Each building is a separate file with varying floor levels, etc so using .mod files won't work.
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
I'm having the same problem...

seems that when saving a file as a gdl object, all kinds of errors get created, from the regular archicad library objects!
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
i get all these error messages:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 3.47.06 PM.png
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
In case anyone is still struggling with this, and since AC seems incapable to produce a gdl with a 3D view, here is the workaround that I have found: Save your project as a SketchUp file (.skp), then merge it to the PLN. AC will create an object and place it in your embedded library.