BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Can't Open Favorites File

ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

The selected PRF file is not compatible and cannot be imported. The file was created in a different version of Archicad.

No idea what to do, have ton of things in Favorites saved like this. 

In middle of working on a project and need those Favorites.

Very basic flow that should work in Archicad across versions.

AC25 created the favorites and now opening in AC26.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 18.08.29.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 18.08.29.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

That worked for whatever reason, thank you Barry!

Importing the PLN file through the Favorites flow. Though it just grabbed the Favorites from the PLN file which is good. It didn't like open up the PLN file.

Not sure why the PRF is even a thing that exists if it doesn't work? Curious what the use case is for that format so I can understand it better

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

As the message says, the PRF was created in a different version of Archicad.

They are not compatible.

Oddly though, if you change the file type to look for a PLN and you can locate that file, I think you can import the favourites.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

Right and since Archicad ships a new version each year, shouldn't this be able to be imported? I'm not trying to import something from AC18 or anything wild, just one year back.

What do you mean to look for the PLN file? Like I should import the PLN file where I originally made these favorites and import that through the Import Favorites flow, and it will pull the Favorites from there.

Super confused, this whole time I thought the beauty of Favorites is they are Favorites that you can bring around with you to different projects, and not lug around full project PLN files.

Solution
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

That worked for whatever reason, thank you Barry!

Importing the PLN file through the Favorites flow. Though it just grabbed the Favorites from the PLN file which is good. It didn't like open up the PLN file.

Not sure why the PRF is even a thing that exists if it doesn't work? Curious what the use case is for that format so I can understand it better

I only have 22 open at the moment, but I think the dialogues are very similar.

BarryKelly_0-1701916185049.png

You would think newer versions could read the PRF of an older version.

I tend not to worry about saving PRFs as it is just an extra step to export them out.

I find it is easier to just find the PLN I want (ideally my template) and import just what I need or usually I just import all as I know my template is always up to date.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

Bit more here, at first it says it should just import fine, which is logical.

But then it goes on, I think, to indicate you should open the PLN files and then re-export out the PRFs. So an extra step every new version.

Will stop using PRFs moving forward like you mentioned seems easier workflow, they'll remain a mystery, lol

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 18.46.13.png

Opening the old file in 26 and then saving the PRF is fine if you want to create a PRF that has only certain favourites in it.

Saves you hunting for them in the PLN when you try to import.

But if you are going to import all favourites, then yes, this is an extra step you don't need.

I still don't understand why 26 can import favourite from an old PLN directly, but can not read the PRF from an old version.

That is all a bit too technical for me.

I might ask support one day if I get too curious.

But I am happy just importing from my PLN template.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!