Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Concave Roof

Hobbesnb
Booster
Does anyone know of a method or object that would allow me to create an inwardly curved (convex) roof? I'm trying to create a roof over an angled bay window with standing seam roofing.
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
9 REPLIES 9
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Hobbesnb wrote:
Does anyone know of a method or object that would allow me to create an inwardly curved (convex) roof? I'm trying to create a roof over an angled bay window with standing seam roofing.
Do you mean something like this?
Roof.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Hobbesnb
Booster
yes...exactly that!
is it a gdl object?
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Dwight
Newcomer
That would be easy with a Complex Profile wall.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Hobbesnb wrote:
yes...exactly that!
is it a gdl object?
It's an assembly of parts - mostly objects made with OBJECTiVE, a few slabs and walls. Not repeatable enough to make a complete object. Let me know by PM if you want an archive.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Erika Epstein
Booster
Within archicad you can accomplish this using the barrel vault roof tool.
Draw the curve of the roof and then magic wand the roof onto it.

If you do a lot of this type of roof, Ralph Wessel's parametric objects well worth their price.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dwight
Newcomer
The barrel roof tool is cumbersome compared to using the Complex Profile.

Here it is in seconds with the wall tool
comvexcave.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Erika Epstein
Booster
And the standing seams?

p.s your roofs are curving the wrong way. Also no line at corners where roof planes intersect
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dwight
Newcomer
Standing seams are simple enough.
The point is that the complex profile deserves more investigation and application since it is so easy to edit after it is placed.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Dwight wrote:
Standing seams are simple enough.
The point is that the complex profile deserves more investigation and application since it is so easy to edit after it is placed.
I think that's a good point - you can do many things with profiled walls - but it can end up being yet another painful work-around too. Getting the details right can become a real time-waster, especially if the design changes. It can push designers into either not using ArchiCAD properly (2D only) or limiting their building to what is easy to make in ArchiCAD. For example, if the concave roof in question had any kind of profile, complex profiles won't help at all. I made the attached image in under a minute, and the bending or shaping of the objects is all dynamic, i.e. you can readily tweak it until it looks right.

That's why OBJECTiVE exists - it's quick and easy to make (and edit) difficult shapes. If you use complex profiles, you can quickly run up a huge list of 'bits and pieces' which have nothing to do with walls at all, and it can get really messy if you want to move them between projects. OBJECTiVE creates stand-alone objects, and you can also edit them in place rather than having to dive into a separate palette for managing profiles.
Corrugation.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch