cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Embedding interface images

Bruce
Advisor
Can anyone point me in the direction to learn about embedding images used for the interface into the gsm object itself?

What I've read so far says you need to have any supporting interface images loaded into your libraries: but I've downloaded examples that seem to have these images / icons embedded in the object itself. How does one do that?

Thanks.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
In GDL Reference Manual I found this:

"This can be done using the LP_XMLConverter tool"
Bruce
Advisor
Thanks for that, I'll check it out
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
There are several possibilities to do that.

1. It can be done also when You make a new object with includes all the needed pictures for Your UI before starting to script. You simply add the pictures to Your normal Archicad-groundfloor - in a row with the exact pixelmeasures needet later in Your element. You activate them and then You save the activated into a new librarypart. If You program then the UI - the pictures are there assignable with a growing id-number frromleft to right.

But its difficult to know what You will need later. But if You make a new GDL-Element in this way - containing all the pictures, You can copypaste the scripts from another element into it. The real task is - to make all the parameters in the parameterlist once more in the new one.

2. convert Your extra saved GDL-Element with the LP_XMLConverter tool into xml, edit it with an XML-Editor like "sublime" (http://www.sublimetext.com)%20(Joachim%20Sühlo(Suehlo)%20has%20an%20addon%20for%20GDL%20http://www.b-prisma.de/object-shop/product_info.php?products_id=99) - add the links to the picture-directory manually. Here it is possible do make additional parameters for GDL.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Anonymous
Not applicable
First you have to convert to xml.
Then make edits to the file, indicating the index images.
Then convert back to gdl.
I had a problem one day - XMLConverter refused to insert some pictures, after reducing the weight of the image.
If you have just started work on a library element, it is easier to place the image on the plan, select all of them and save as an object. This will be significantly faster. Then use this file with the already inserted images. The first digit after picture2 and will index of the image.
jakubc7
Advocate
Sorry to resurrect such an old post ... but I want to see if there is still no simple way of embedding images (for user interface) into an existing GDL object.

XMLConverter method is not really suitable for me as I am already using the object across number of projects and do not want to change the GUID number!

Is this just Graphisoft's way of keeping library file sizes down by forcing to load images into the library (one logo per library etc)? It's causing many single objects across the web to be made into LCF containers which is quite frustrating! Likewise I'd like to share my objects but not necessarily entire collection so LCF seems like the only reasonable option?
ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
Jochen Suehlo
Advisor
... but I want to see if there is still no simple way of embedding images
Sorry, there is no simple way to do this after the creation of an object.
You must use the XML converter.
There are no issues with GUIDs. Using the Converter does not change any GUID.

I have written a short tutorial how to do this (in German, but Google could translate).
And Frank Beister and I created GDL nucleus, an addition for Sublime text, which does
the main work automatically.
Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
jakubc7
Advocate
Thanks for the reply Joachim. I have come across GDL nucleus and Sublime text before but because there is little spare time and I don't make money out of GDL, I didn't look into them too closely.

Can I get a link to the guide you wrote ... I will check it out if I decide to give it another go at it.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Advisor
Actually, you do make money out of GDL - just not directly. Over the last few years I have invested my time in learning GDL (painful at first), and the pay-off in productivity increases are enormous.

If you are a business owner, this translates to increased profit margins. If you are an employee, this can (and should) translate to salary increases.

It's worth it!
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
jakubc7
Advocate
I agree Bruce ... however I spend a LOT of time creating content and sharing it with whoever wants it. The whole embedded interface just sounds like a little too much work for little gain.

I'd rather spend time making more GDL objects ... there is a lot that I would like to do, but we all have to draw a line somewhere.