cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Objects for ArchiCAD

muzedesigns
Participant
Hello!

Is it possible to import by other type of Objects into ArchiCAD?

The GDL Library's and stores are SO limited.. Are there any other file types ArchiCAD users can import..?

Sites like Turbo Squid with all their .obj, CD4 and .3DS files etc are so mouth watering - and then when you try to search for a similar GDL object.. there is nothing .. ObjectsOnline, the GDL Depository, TheObjectStore, SmartGDL, Archibase etc are all good - but the volume, selection and quality from other file types on other sites far exceeds them.

I hope my comments are ill-informed because unto-known by me as there is the perfect GDL Object site out there waiting for its reveal.. is there? (please say yes!)

Wishful Chrissy.
Chrissy Avramidis
|| ArchiCAD Versions 7-22 ||
|| 27inch iMac Pro (2017) | macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 | Processor 3 GHz Xeon W | Memory 64GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB||
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
It is simple to import 3Ds files, then open and save them as GDL objects.

The downside is that many of the objects you love in 3Ds have too many polygons to be productively used in Archicad.
Dwight Atkinson
muzedesigns
Participant

Fair Enough.. GDL will have to do and some creative internal object modelling.. more polygons are not an option..

Thank you for the reply Dwight!
Chrissy Avramidis
|| 27inch iMac Pro (2017) | macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 | Processor 3 GHz Xeon W | Memory 64GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB||
owen
Newcomer
Depends what you are using them for - documentation or visualization?

Noticed you were asking some questions about C4D in another thread so i'm thinking the latter, in which case I think getting decent looking 3DS and importing them is a much better option than spending your time creating them in AC.

The imported 3DS will probably look terrible in AC and take ages to render, but most of the time the import does not 'dumb down' the model from the original 3DS so when you export your AC file back out to Cinema they should render just fine.

Another way is to just use AC for the building modeling and then add all your scene filler/entourage stuff directly into Cinema. This is what we tend to do

hth
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
Well well well, for those patient enough to browse through stacks of object (duly categorised), there's still http://archive3d.net to have a look at. As mentioned previously, most object are available in 3ds and gsm format.
Cheers
Francois
François Chatelain
Worldwide Digital Imaging
Formerly posting as RanXerox
"A little bump will help blur your reflections"
muzedesigns
Participant
François - you legend!

I found the object I am after - table with a table cloth!

But when I go to download the licked file i get a text file jargon thing..

How do you download the objects?
Chrissy Avramidis
Dwight
Newcomer
Stop licking files.
Dwight Atkinson
muzedesigns
Participant
ha ha ha - sorry! can't help it - they just look so delicious!

I am dying rendering out my animation - archiiCAD keeps quitting 'unexpectedly' after 6 frames or so frames.. i should have investigated CD4 and Artlantis Studio earlier! Never making this mistake again!
Chrissy Avramidis
muzedesigns
Participant
its all good!

The problem was the the .rar files were opening as .txt files - once downloaded you can just manually modify the extension type back to .rar

Chrissy Avramidis
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!
http://archive3d.net is the same as a page "Free 3D Models" at http://archibase.net. Only without advertising and the rest.