Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GLOB_LAYER broken in 14

Barry Kelly
I think it was broken in 13 too but i never really used that.

We use GLOB_LAYER to check that we are placing our objects in the correct layers.
Each object has a parameter called "preflayer" and if the value of this does not match the actual layer the object is being placed in then we will be prompted with a warning message.

Here is the code that goes in the master or 2D script if anyone wants to play with it.
You need a text parameter called "preflayer" and in there type the name for the layer you want to place the object on (excatly as it is spelt in your layer list).

if GLOB_LAYER<>preflayer and preflayer<>"" then !***** Here is where the object checks the layer that it's on *****
temp = REQUEST ("name_of_macro", "", name)
linenum1 = "You may be placing the :-\n<< " + name + " >>\nobject on an incorrect layer :-\n<< " + GLOB_LAYER + " >>."
linenum2 = "\n\nThe preferred layer is :-\n<< " + preflayer + " >>."
linenum3 = "\n\nPlease change the layer it is in or amended the preferred layer setting."

print linenum1 + linenum2 + linenum3
endif

When you go into the object settings (looking at the 2D preview) and the actual layer doesn't match the preferred layer then the message will appear as a warning.
In previous versions (12 and below) you could just alter the actual layer in the object settings dialogue and the message would go away.
But now you have to change the layer, the message will appear again and then press the OK button.
If you don’t press the OK button the message will keep appearing whenever you try to alter the object.
So you must press OK and then re-open it to make your changes.

I don’t know if it is that now the GLOB_LAYER is no longer reading the actual layer in the object settings dialogue or that changing this is no longer changing the layer in the info box until you press the OK button.
Either way it has changed from the way it used to work.

I have reported this as a bug to GS Australia and they acknowledged and have reported it, but I just wanted to post the problem in here in the hope the GS HQ would read it and hopefully place it on their list of future fixes (not too far in the future I hope!).
Hopefully the attached image might help to explain.

I don’t know how many people might use GLOB_LAYER in their objects or for what purposes, but it is now useless in the object settings dialogue which is where you want to make changes to your objects.

Barry.

wrong_layer.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
5 REPLIES 5
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Barry,

Yes, you are right, GLOB_LAYER isn't updated in dialog-time in v14. We already recorded the issue and it will be fixed for v15. In case many 3rd party objects are affected, we can lobby for a higher priority but I cannot promise anything.

Best regards,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Barry wrote:
I think it was broken in 13 too but i never really used that..
I can confirm its like this in 13. We use GLOB_LAYER to help control what goes in what layer, but I am not using a print statement, just text in the floor plan so I hadn't picked this up.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Barry Kelly
ztaskai wrote:
Hi Barry,

Yes, you are right, GLOB_LAYER isn't updated in dialog-time in v14. We already recorded the issue and it will be fixed for v15. In case many 3rd party objects are affected, we can lobby for a higher priority but I cannot promise anything.

Best regards,
Thanks Zsolt,
But V15 is a year away!
We are 99 licences using 14 now.
Could this please be included in a hotfix.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
OK, the bug got scheduled for v14 hotfix. It surely won't be included in hotfix 1 but hopefully it can get into hotfix 2.

Regs
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Barry Kelly
Thankyou very much Zsolt.
That is excellent news.

Now all I need is for the roof slope field to be added to the interactive schedule and I will be a very happy person.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=20688

Thanks again,
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27