Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Get the Modular Joinery object!

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd just like to push this http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=135321#135321
a little more.

Ralph Wessel has created a hugely flexible window/door/panel/storefront/curtain wall GDL object, called Modular Joinery. It was commissioned by Graphisoft U K and is distributed to their Archicad subscribers, and for similar purpose to other distributors.

I've been using it for a week or so now, and I find it extraordinarily good, and something I've been wishing to have for a long time. Not only is the object itself working very well, it also has a new, simple yet very creative and useful UI (user interface), and also comes with a 22-page user manual!

If you have an Archicad subscription, immediately ask your distributor to supply you with this GDL object, and if he/she doesn't have it, to get it from Graphisoft U.K.!

I'd also like to send my sincere thanks to Graphisoft U K who've had the wit to engage one of the most distinguished GDL programmers for this task, and to share it with the user community this way. And of course, to Ralph!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
145 REPLIES 145
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Achille wrote:
Also, in your screenshot I read "frame" and "mulion" whereas I see "sash" and "rail". How is that?
The user interface for the object is very dynamic, adapting to show just as much as you need and no more. The attached image illustrates how this works, and some additional detail on how materials are managed in the object:
  • 1. This unit is divided into 5 frames across, which means there will be mullions between the frames and no transoms. Hence the options shown in the detailing section show only buttons for Frame and Mullion. Note that the selection of frames is dependent on the frame type selected above - Slim in the this case, reflecting the type of frames manufactured by Velfac where the sashes/rails are typically inline with the frames. The selection is also linked to the selected interior/exterior materials: a) Typical of the Velfac 400 series, with metal to the exterior and wood interior; b) The 200 series, also with 2 materials; c) The 500 series, exterior doors with a single material (exterior).

2. The same unit as the previous illustration, but with the type changed to Basic. The detailing of these frames are suited to typical timber/uPVC joinery. The frame menu below is primarily for specifying the application of materials: a) separate interior and exterior; b) uniformly the interior material; c) uniformly the exterior material.

3. In this illustration, a frame is selected that does not inherit the characteristics of the enclosing frame. It is divided in 2 vertically, meaning that it also requires a detailing for the transom separating the door from the window above. It has no mullions, so only the Transom button is displayed.

4. This view is zoomed into the frame selected in the previous step - we can see a window above and a door below (selected). The door detailing naturally includes buttons for the sash and rail, but also a transom because the panel is divided in 2 vertically. The illustrations echo the same pattern of material use as the bounding frames (interior & interior, interior only, exterior only)
Therefore, the UI buttons, images or other settings vary all the time depending on the context, settings, and current selection.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to track down the 55 duplicate library parts I have in my standard library and wonder if the red boxed ones in the attached image list have to do with MJO as they seem to be.
Sure would be nice G.S. if there was one more slide out info box (after the "list of all duplicates" that told you what folder the dups were found in. Please?
AND, if not this is there an at least partially automated (third party) way to get a report on where the duplicates in the duplicate report might be found?
Anonymous
Not applicable
And here in the MJO directory within my standard library, it says "Do not modify".
Are these duplicates a GS slip up?
That is, jamming (or not cleaning up) dups into MJO?
MJO NO MOD.png
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lec1212 wrote:
And here in the MJO directory within my standard library, it says "Do not modify".
Are these duplicates a GS slip up?
It's a whole series of work-arounds that reminds me of song about the old lady who swallowed a fly, where she progressively swallows larger things to fix the previous smaller thing.

The problem starts with the fact that not all (real-world) openings can be clearly defined as a 'door' or 'window'. The units manufactured by Velfac, for example, typically combine any arrangement of doors, windows, and panels. But ArchiCAD is limited to the concept that an object must be strictly a 'door' or 'window' - it can't be both. Object subtyping should ideally allow an object to fulfil the interface requirements of multiple types, but the only current solution is to duplicate the object in its entirety and share macros between the copies.

Then we hit the problem that BIMComponents can't deal with suites of objects, or objects that share common resources. Because there is a 'window' MJO and a 'door' MJO (that are identical), they have to be treated as entirely independent objects (sharing nothing in common). BIMComponents should ideally allow a whole suite to be downloaded if one of its objects is selected, but the only current solution is to duplicate all the macros and UI images as well.

Next we hit the problem that the Library Manager reports duplicates every time you reload the library. There's really no easy answer to that, so the next work-around appears to be that the latest version of ArchiCAD overlooks duplicated resources in the loaded libraries and loads just one copy.

But the problems are only compounded - the MJO interface allows you to edit or create the joinery configurations. If the Library Manager is loading one copy the macros on one day (when you add a new joinery type), what happens if it loads the other copy the next day? What happens if you update the 'window' MJO' but not the 'door' MJO (which are identical anyway) and the wrong macros are loaded by the Library Manager or the new macros aren't compatible with the old (duplicated) object?

Please note that some of the UI images are still missing in the download from BIMComponents, so the menus for the frame/mullion/transom types don't appear. I've reported it through a variety of channels but had no response yet.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have a question:
Can't one just delete one or the other of the MJO macro folders from the Embedded Library? If they contain the exact same GSM files both the MJO Door and Window object refers to by name, then it will find them anyway, won't it?
And then the duplicate problem involving these macros will be gone and there will also not be any issue of which instance the program uses if a macro is modified.
Or am I missing something?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
laszlonagy wrote:
I have a question:
Can't one just delete one or the other of the MJO macro folders from the Embedded Library?
Absolutely, yes. I wonder, though, how many users would feel confident about deleting an embedded library folder labelled "Do not modify"? I think many would even struggle to understand why the duplicates report appeared at all.

BIMComponents is an essential step forward for GS, but it should be as easy as installing apps on modern smartphones. You can browse or search for items of interest, read reviews, and simply click to purchase/install. Users aren't exposed to library issues like missing/duplicate DLLs or other technical problems. ArchiCAD objects and libraries should be like that too, with a real marketplace where objects are easy to find, review and install.

ArchiCAD's whole library and object structure is badly in need of an overhaul. It has been great in the past, but the complexity is growing with every passing year. The methods that served well in the past don't fit so well now. I struggle to explain to customers why ArchiCAD is complaining that an object they made and named "My fancy chair" isn't found after they subsequently saved over it and can clearly see an object called "My fancy chair" in the library. Or why it complains that there are duplicate objects when the names - "My fancy chair 1" and "My fancy chair 2" - are clearly different. How do I convey the idea that ArchiCAD ignores the object name and refers to an invisible, uneditable code that they have no control over? These are technicalities that only make sense to developers - end users should never be exposed to them.

And I'm not just concerned about end-users either. For ArchiCAD to really thrive, we need easy and reliable mechanisms for developers to add and maintain libraries without having to worry whether users will be exposed to these issues. I haven't been involved in the addition or maintenance of the MJO on BIMComponents, but I'm still deeply concerned when I see users having to wade through library conflicts and a half-missing UI. The onus should be on GS and developers to smooth the way for customers.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now with a clearer head this morning I temporarily removed MJO from my standard library and I get a 54 fewer duplicate report.
This leaves only one left which I now hope to drill down to.

To modify or not modify, that is the question.
But how
I guess this MJO "gift" comes from G.S.: Batteries not included.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmvsb13dA8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ralph wrote:
Absolutely, yes. I wonder, though, how many users would feel confident about deleting an embedded library folder labelled "Do not modify"? I think many would even struggle to understand why the duplicates report appeared at all.
I see what you mean. I have informed GS about these issues.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Hi!
I've just recently started using Archicad 17 - I guess I'm lagging on all fronts at the moment. Took a whlie to get to grips with the new handling of Building Materials.

My problem now is that I can't seem to find the Modular Joinery Object for Archicad 17. I've tried BIM components etc but to no avail.

Since I've come to rely on this exquisite piece of object programming, the lack of it is truly annoying.

I guess I'm just lost, can't see this tree through all the woods, but I'd appreciate any help - where is it?

(And I'm on subscription if you must know)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
How did you obtain it in previous versions?
From bimcomponents.com?
Or from your reseller?
It is probably obtainable from the same source as before.