Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Help regarding GDL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Friends,
My name is Vijay,i am from India.

I am a fresh archicad user and had been working in Autocad Architecture and Revit.

I have a query in Archicad which i think someone can clarify.

In ADT and revit Creating parametric library components is very easy and it can be done by using the inbuilt options,but while i think of creating some library parts(something like doors and window styles) i heard that it can be only achieved by GDL programming,

is that true,dont we have any other ways to create components.

I am currently using archicad version 9 and is there any advancement in the latest version.

Please clarify my doubt.

Thanks
Vijay
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Vijay,

Search these forums for 'custom window' or 'custom door', and you will find a huge amount of information.

Custom doors and windows (etc) can be created easily but will NOT be parametric. Creating a completely parametric object does require GDL scripting.

A non-scriped custom window is illustrated here:

but NOTE the bold text at the top which applies to AC 9 and higher - no scripting is required to create an arbitrary-shaped wall hole (or niche). The article should really be re-written.

Also, sometimes all you need is a custom door or window panel (or handle). Custom Components, created with massing tools and no scripting, give you this. Screenshot of that part of the help attached - and also search these forums.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
The online Help (Help menu) has a good description of creating your own objects without programming - including custom windows and doors.

Look for
Virtual Building > Parametric Objects > Graphic Creation of Custom Objects

as attached...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB