Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Updated Mesh 3D - Version 3. Needs checking please!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've updated the rather useful Mesh 3D object (originally by Petri), so it would be useful if someone could check it still works properly and the updated User Interface displays correctly on a Mac before I upload it to the Depository.

I've added full floorplan cutplane sensitivity so you now can get a true cut through the object. Due to its complexity, the floorplan regen time can get really slow if you have a number of these displayed with lots of nodes, so bear this in mind!

I also took the opportunity to update the user interface while adding in the extra controls. The navigation between the tabs is more like the standard GS navigation.

You can also (fairly) safely use the parameter transfer function to upgrade a Mesh3d v2 to a v3 object. There may be a couple of parameters that need resetting, but the geometry will be identical. (Maybe do it on a copy!)

Also note this object is AC13+ at the moment. I need to investigate how to save it back to AC10 format, as this would probably be the most useful for everyone.

Please let me know if you find any problems!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I checked it on my Mac. It works perfect.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear I haven't broken anything!

There is one problem I've discovered with the way it aligns the material compared to the way it applies the 2d cover fill. If you apply a material that you would expect to have a horizontal fill the material is rotated by 90 degrees clockwise when viewed in 3d. The separately applied 2d cover fill is orientated correctly.

The question is how do I adjust the code below to correct this?
		v= VARDIM2(ac_mesh_X) 
		u= VARDIM1(ac_mesh_X) 
	VERT ac_mesh_X[1][1], ac_mesh_Y[1][1], ac_mesh_Z[1][1] 
	VERT ac_mesh_X[1], ac_mesh_Y[1], ac_mesh_Z[1] 
	VERT ac_mesh_X2[1][1], ac_mesh_Y2[1][1], ac_mesh_Z2[1][1] 
	COOR 2+256+1024, 1, 2, 3, 4

Another problem that the GDL genius's may be able to help with is when the mesh gets distorted past a certain point, the material alignment goes crazy on certain polygons. Is there a way to get it to align properly all the time, or is this just unavoidable? I notice this happens when using the standard mesh tool as well so I guess it could be a limitation on how AC deals with textures.

Many thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
is there chance this could work on Archicad 12 ?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Peter wrote:
There is one problem I've discovered with the way it aligns the material compared to the way it applies the 2d cover fill. If you apply a material that you would expect to have a horizontal fill the material is rotated by 90 degrees clockwise when viewed in 3d. The separately applied 2d cover fill is orientated correctly.

The question is how do I adjust the code below to correct this?
		v= VARDIM2(ac_mesh_X) 
		u= VARDIM1(ac_mesh_X) 
	VERT ac_mesh_X[1][1], ac_mesh_Y[1][1], ac_mesh_Z[1][1] 
	VERT ac_mesh_X2[1][1], ac_mesh_Y2[1][1], ac_mesh_Z2[1][1] 
	COOR 2+256+1024, 1, 2, 3, 4
Peter:

I took a quick look at this, and will not pretend to understand the original coder's intent. For localized texture mapping I have used the code:
Vert 0, 0, 0
Vert 1, 0, 0
Vert 0, 1, 0
Vert 0, 0, 1
COOR 2+256, -1, -2, -3, -4
If you substitute this you will get a correct result, at least on my simple test. But the original coder may have had reasons for his version, and I have not tested, so other forms created with this object (which can very tremendously) may be worst, rather than better.

From the GDL Manual:
Use a minus sign (-) before VERT indices if they are used only for defining the local coordinate system.

David
Mesh-Object-Coor.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14