cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. License Manager Tool update is required on Windows. Learn more…
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

VALUES statement for arrays

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried posting this on GDL talk, but Frank must be busy and/or no one knows the answer.

I cannot get the VALUES statement to work with a parameter array.

I think this is a bug/problem with ArchiCAD but figured I'd check here first.

I understand that the values apply to all elements of the array and cannot be applied to single entries within the array.

What I have done is something like this: (simplified for clarity)
VALUES "array_1" RANGE [min_space, A - min_space], A
The purpose is to prevent any of the arrayed elements from approaching the left or right sides too closely, but still allow the right most one to snap to the overall width.

Everything appears to work, with the values properly displayed in the tracker pop-up, but they have no effect. I can stretch to any length regardless of the apparent value limits.

Is there something I am missing? This is the first time I have tried a values statement with an array.
3 REPLIES 3
Frank Beister
Advisor
but Frank must be busy
Really funny. But thats the way you get me. I am very busy in the moment, but I have read your posting. I have not answered yet, because I have to open ArchiCAD for research, what I do not have to do in most other cases. But this issue is more complex and needs trial and error. (=Back to first point: Too busy.)
I understand that the values apply to all elements of the array and cannot be applied to single entries within the array.
Right and not. If you use array- UI_INFIELDS in user interface and have only single fields on one page you can differ between the the fields, but this does not work in plan view anymore and is another theme.
I can stretch to any length regardless of the apparent value limits.
There is a different behaviour, if you use RANGE und CUSTOM in combination or exclusive. Adding STEP and CUSTOM in one VALUES command could be paradox too. I have mentioned that in betatest 10, but haven't heared anything about it anymore. Maybe they have changed something (senseless) by my note.

I have had these problems too, that some RANGEs do not work proper and some do. Especially in settings dialog they do not work at all. As I understand the command a wrong input into the infield should cause to an immediate value change to the parameter margins. AFAIK this does not work.

Could you send me/post a tiny object which shows, what should work and what does not? This saves my time to rebuilt your environment. 😉
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
Frank, thank you very much for your reply. I don't wish to make this a major effort for you, I was hoping that you might have a quick answer. I'll send or post and example when I can get a chance (also very busy ).

It seems from what you say that this probably is a bug in the program. Your point about the CUSTOM and STEP paradox is interesting and may be related. It seems that there is some sort of event handling issue.

In the meantime I will proceed on the assumption that I have to work around this problem. It is very frustrating when I come so close to making a part that is clean, elegant and functions exactly as I want - only to be stopped short and have to come up with an inelegant workaround.

I will be taking this up with GS when I get a chance. We really need attention to GDL functions and features. While not everyone is a GDL programmer, everyone needs and uses the parts. It must become easier to make really cool stuff that just works.
Frank Beister
Advisor
My own text on www.selfgdl.combrought me to this: gdl values causing but not causing parameter changes in ac9. Maybe this brings you forward. 😉
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm