BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Why does AC report duplicate library items?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello :
I have a file containing a number of gsm objects, all with different names, although some names begin with the same word.
e.g object_first, object_second.
I assume these two file names are distinct and the second is not counted as duplicate.
Nevertheless, AC constantly reports there are duplicates.
How does one clear the decks and then import again from scratch. Merely deleting the folder in the library manager doesn't seem to work.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this something to do with AC assigning a unique number to each gsm file. Then if a gsm file is duplicated and modified, the second is identified along with the first.

If this is the case, how does one persuade AC to renumber the copied file ?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Link :
Thank you for your suggestion.

Some of the gsm files were merely saved with a new name after some modification.

As I understand it, if I open the file and Save As, the problem ought to disappear.

I tried that when I had five duplicate files. Now I have seven !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello :
"Save As" the gdl objects merely produces more duplicates. (Unless I'm saving the wrong items of course).

And there are now two substitute items for the same object as well. One of 159 and the other 12 items.

I’ve been working on the gdl files so clearly this is self-inflicted injury.

I’ve followed the instructions in the GUID helpfile. And I’ve found the GUID number for the object. However, I have no idea what to do with it.

I’ve searched for and selected the objects which are substituted and selected the correct object in the library. This makes no difference.

I’m at a complete loss to know how to proceed.
Jochen Suehlo
Advisor
Hubert,
- please first check your ArchiCAD Version (in very old versions there where no GUIDs)
- second check if you have any gsm files within the embedded libray:
there should not be any gsm with the same name in the loaded external library and the embedded library
- every gsm file, which you save with "save as" gets a new GUID, so it is not possible you have dublicate files exept point 1 and 2.

If this does not help at all, please send screenshots of the libray manager both embedded and external (see example)
Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Suehlo san :
Thank you for your response.
My version of AC is 18.

1 In the object view, Embedded Library shows no files in the space below.
In Library Manager the only item in Embedded Library is ‘listset’.
2 I note your image “Archicad Library 21”.
If I choose “Archicad Library 18” there are only three folders Basic, Visualization and Addon. No foreigh files.
3 In my GDl Library saved outside of the AC folder, there are no files with identical names. However, there are files which were modified and saved from previous files. I guess this is the problem.
4 There are files that share part of a name.
e.g. ‘keta parametric’ and ‘keta with slope’. I guess this would not be a problem.
Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 21.16.51.png
Jochen Suehlo
Advisor
Try the following:
- click on "GDL Library - GDL library (7) and then the Info button: you will see the name of the doubles.
- open every double and save it under a new name: e.g. "block_1.gsm" instead of "block.gsm"
- remove the "old" doubles from the library (do not delete for security reasons, keep it as backup)
- reload the library and check if you have no doubles
- if so, you can rename the saved under a new name objects manually back in the Explorer: e.g. "block_1.gsm" to "block.gsm"
- reload libraries again.
4 There are files that share part of a name.
e.g. ‘keta parametric’ and ‘keta with slope’. I guess this would not be a problem.
No, this is not a problem in any way
Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK done.
The substitutes have gone. However, there are still five duplicates reported.

Further, all those objects in the drawing which are no longer shown as substitutes are now assigned to another copy of the original gsl!

Yesterday I was experimenting with a copy of the parametric gsl and of course renamed it.

What I need to do is reassign the objects in the drawing to the correct version of the gsl file.

How is that done without doing more damage?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've discovered how to reassign object in the drawing to the correct object file. That's done.

However, there are still five duplicate items.
Info show one item in the embedded library, a listset.
Info of GDL Library shows five items, each with a number of placed objects. No warning icon.
Learn and get certified!