Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

gANGING WINDOWS

Tom Krowka
Booster
Can someone enlighten me on the right way to gang windows? I've poked and prayed for some time now, can't seem to get the trim to look correct in 2D. I don't understand what happens when you select ganging? Does it extend trim past the window? Should the adjacent window not be ganged? I don't get it.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly! The listing issue is one of my gripes. We have a lot of favorites using std. W&D objects w/ listing set up already. When ganging units together it means you need to be creative in listing one unit and exclude the other(s) if they are mulled units, regardless if factory or field mulled. The builder needs to know the combined R.O. not each seperate.
That is why GS needs to have an EXCELLENT window and door utility. This should be basic for any AEC software.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Thomas wrote:
Ben wrote:
Ganging is a great feature. It's used when you have a row of windows or a window next to a glass door, basically what this feature does is to take away the 2D lines of the window/door opening.

the removal of those lines was automatic in previous versions.

Not in plan.
This was a major gripe from a lot of our users that they could never remove the opening lines in plan, when you either had a window/door combination or a band of windows.

Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK, I'm getting old, my memory is bad already and gets worse. I did sometimes have adjacent windows though, and I did manage to get rid of those lines - how?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a problem with the exterior elevation view as well. The ganged windows look good in plan but in elevation the trim extends past the next window and there is a vertical line at the end of the trim. We gang both sides of the interior windows and one side of the two end units. If anyone has a recommendation as to how to get these lines to go away automatically, please let me know. An image is attached.

Thanks!

Ari
ganged windows.jpg
Tom Krowka
Booster
I've tried and tried and can't seem to get ganging to work. I turn off all the ext. brick molding and insert and "architrave" object around the window which acts as the trim. It's a library object.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
jshuether
Enthusiast
I discovered that the trim on the ganged windows extends past the window when a solid elements operation was performed on the wall containing the windows. I think my work-around was to use "trim to roof" instead of SEO "subtract with upward extrusion". SEOs are such a love hate relationship....especially with meshes!!
ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have exactly this problem, and my solution has been Trim to Roof, as well.
Until now.
I have to SEO the wall containing the window to an element other than the roof, and BAM the window trim ends go wild.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Is there a good solution?
Is it a bug?
Thanks--!
jshuether wrote:
I discovered that the trim on the ganged windows extends past the window when a solid elements operation was performed on the wall containing the windows. I think my work-around was to use "trim to roof" instead of SEO "subtract with upward extrusion". SEOs are such a love hate relationship....especially with meshes!!
Sam Wheatley
Contributor
Exactly! The listing issue is one of my gripes. We have a lot of favorites using std. W&D objects w/ listing set up already. When ganging units together it means you need to be creative in listing one unit and exclude the other(s) if they are mulled units, regardless if factory or field mulled. The builder needs to know the combined R.O. not each separate.
That is why GS needs to have an EXCELLENT window and door utility. This should be basic for any AEC software.

This is exactly why I never use the Archicad windows, they can't be scheduled correctly, impossible!!!!! In every release I have looked for this improvement. I have to use 3rd party software to do my windows correctly. Someone show me a job without windows. This is the most basic part of any cad program and it doesn't work with archicad. Graphisoft when you gang windows they become one unit no matter how many are ganged together and the rough opening to that gang of windows is the over all size of the ganged units. i can't believe it is june of 2008 and I am still asking for this. Anyone want to bet AC12 doesn't address this?
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB

NIVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
jshuether
Enthusiast
My work-around is to do a SEO on the wall to subtract the window trim that has gone haywire. It works, but it is a pain in the design phase when I am still moving windows around and I have to remember to move the SEO operator (which is always on a hidden layer).

As far as windows and doors are concerned, the wooden windows and doors that are in the ArchiCAD object library are the best that I've used despite their shortcomings and bugs. The metal windows, however, are insufficient--I have had to script my own parametric metal window to allow for any combination of fixed and operable sashes to avoid having to gang windows.
ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10