cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

lamp object

Tom Krowka
Booster
Can I save a collection of objects (basic shapes plus a down light lamp object) as a lamp. Tried to do it through Library & Objects but there is no selection for lamps.
If I save as a typical object will it act as a lamp?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can save it as an object and then redefine it as a lamp.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
To expand on what Erika said ... open the saved object and change its subtype to Lamp. That will provide all of the lamp parameters, and will allow the object to be placed with the lamp tool.

It will not, however, provide any illumination. To do that, you would have to add a LIGHT command into the script, and use the object parameters with the LIGHT. This actually gets pretty complicated ... so the easiest thing to do is to include an existing light in your saved bits, as you did.

The saved lamp will still not be parametric ... see next posts...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
After changing the subtype, you'll see that all lamp-related parameters are automatically made parameters of your object. (Subtype related parameters show up in blue.)

For example, the attached shows some of the light related params at the top of the parameter list.
Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 7.26.11 PM.png
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
To make your new lamp a parametric lamp - where you can control the color, intensity, on/off ...and optionally other settings that might change versus the original bits, you have to open the 3D script and edit it.

See attached part of the 3D script for a saved-as lamp object that included a down-light as you described. The original color was white, and so the values for D, E and F (RGB) are 1. To make your object color-parametric, just change that code to read:

D = D, E = E, F = F ...

that's like wiring a connection between the D/E/F parameters of your object (the RGB values) and the D/E/F parameters of the light cone object. If you double click the color swatch of your placed lamp now and pick a new color, that linkage will pass the values along.

Similarly, connect up the G (intensity) parameter so you can control the brightness:
D = D, E = E, F = F, G = G,

Etc.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Just a teeny bit complicated. I will give it whirl. Going to have print it out and follow the directions.

I did it as a typical object so I have it started anyway. Right now, it shows up in elevation view with the height arrow displayed and output. I hope I can turn it off after this process.

thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com