Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

making walls/slabs/roofs with GDL?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again,

I have been looking for some guidelines on how to make a wall with GDL, and so far, have only found http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=12056, indicating that it is not possible at all!

Is this true?
There's a subtype called "Wall" in the editor, but I need a clue on how to get started, if possible at all!

thanks,
Jeppe
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
jeppe.liisberg wrote:
F. wrote:
But what should it be good for creating walls in GDL? Wouldn't it be better to create normal walls by the wall tool and modify them by profiles, attributes, wall acessory, SEOs, or simple opening objects?
I want to make a library with special walls, slabs and roofs, using layers of different materials and with special abilities to eg. calculate the amount of a certain material used.

I could use an existing wall and "glue" my "special-ability" object on that, but it needs to be as user friendly as possible, meaning that downloading the library and inserting the object, assigning it to a given wall, should be enough to make the whole thing work...

- Jeppe
It's hard to respond without knowing precisely what you are trying to do. Much of it sounds like what the wall tool can do already. Wall accessories can add to that, and then there is the API for really advanced functions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
It's hard to respond without knowing precisely what you are trying to do. Much of it sounds like what the wall tool can do already. Wall accessories can add to that, and then there is the API for really advanced functions.
I want to embed a companys products into a wall and distribute that wall. This way, the company products can be distributed (and thereby branded) as a useful, feature-rich object in archicad. But it need to be as easy to use as "standard"-walls.

I'm currently a newcomer to ArchiCad, (as my blog might reveal) and I can see that I might benefit from looking into wall accessories or even the API as you suggest.

- Jeppe
Frank Beister
Mentor
GDL-scripts that make composites.
If we talk about the same: There is no way to create composites by GDL. One missing point in the attribute commands section IMHO.

Your project sounds too big to solve in GDL. I think you would have to make it min. as API. Have you thought of using favourites instead?
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
F. wrote:
GDL-scripts that make composites.
If we talk about the same: There is no way to create composites by GDL. One missing point in the attribute commands section IMHO.

Your project sounds too big to solve in GDL. I think you would have to make it min. as API. Have you thought of using favourites instead?
Ok, but than it sounds like Jeppe needing an API. Tepro (in Sweden) have use/build an API for placing their products on walls.
http://www.tepro.se/category.asp?publicationid=2900&cat=21&catName=Nyheter&s=4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions - I've been fighting a cold these past days, and trying to figure out what the heck you guys were talking about, whenever my head allowed me to think.

here's what that cocktail resulted in:
jeppe.liisberg.dk/2007/04/18/developing-gdl-part-3/

Regards,

- Jeppe