Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

where is the detail library

Anonymous
Not applicable
in the tutoral to archicad, when talking about sections, it says that you can merge an existing dwg. file into your model.
it takes it from a detail libray that should be in the library folder, but i do not have this.

if it does not come with one where can i download existing librarys from, because i am not familiar with section building and would like to make it easier for myself.

thanls
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
KRAY345 wrote:
thank you peter clarke for a positive response. however i would like to know if there is a larger detail libray in the actual programe as the tutorial only has 3 details to it
This link may be useful to you regarding organising details. It also mentions a site where you can buy pre-drawn details, although these may not be to UK standards or construction techniques.

http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2007/issue18-archicad.html
Karl Ottenstein
KRAY345 wrote:
ok my question to everyone out there is - is there a detail libray you can download that already has detailed, labeled sections of say the connection between the roof and wall or foundations etc.
Finally, you asked the question you meant to ask in the first place. People here cannot read your mind. 'detail library' means lots of different things to different people. In the AC world, a 'library' is a folder of GDL objects. What you asked about is the more generic in-practice sense of the word. And, as TurboGlider responded, no such assemblages come with ArchiCAD.

Further, there really is no such thing as a 'typical' detail even for the connections you mention! Product specifications and availability as well as codes vary by region, even with global trade. Construction of such details is part of the value that an architect brings to a client, and of course the firm that creates the detail is exposed to liability for any errors in it.

You will probably find what you want at manufacturer web sites and in books specific to your country. (Your IP seems to indicate you are in the UK.)

If, for example, you have Simpson connectors available, then some standard details might be on their web site. No doubt as DWG, but then you just either place them directly on a layout or merge into a detail window and edit them, etc. (If PDF, and they are OK as-is, then you just place the PDF detail on a layout and create a detail marker that is linked to the placed drawing....if you are in 11 or above.)

Sounds to me like you have not gotten any 1-on-1 training from the person who sold you your copy of ArchiCAD?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Sounds to me like you have not gotten any 1-on-1 training from the person who sold you your copy of ArchiCAD?
Don't forget he did mention he was studying architecture in his second post. Generally the quality of CAD training at Uni was quite poor I found. (Although Nottingham is an exception I understand) How they expect you to learn the nuances of such a complicated piece of software at the same time as studying a difficult discipline such as architecture, I don't know.

I suspect this is why he needs free examples of details. He probably doesn't want to spend a few hundred pounds just to complete a project.
Karl Ottenstein
Peter wrote:
Don't forget he did mention he was studying architecture in his second post.
Thanks, Peter. I missed that. Just saw that he said he had 10 and 11 full (not student) versions which is what confused me.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you peter for pointing that out. yes i am a second year student at uni, in the uk.
he obviously understands me as, yes, we are required to learn alot of programmes on our own back + details + standards.
i am a full time student and we are only in for 8 hours a week

we are asked to design small dwellings and to include DETAILED SECTIONS.

i just need some help thats all as university tutors arnt exactly there on a regular basis or reliable.

And as to your comment Karl, yes i do have both full versions of 10 and 11 (i am a student after all ;O))

So any further help would be of use
thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again Kray,

To be honest, people are always going to be unwilling to post their own details up on the web as they take time and effort to produce and are often specific to a project.

Personally, the best resource at Uni I found for general constructional details was the Mitchells Building series of books. They are bound to keep the full range in your local library if you haven't discovered them yet.

The 'Structure and Fabric' range would be a good place to start, but they are all interesting reads if you have the time and inclination.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Structure-Fabric-Pt-Mitchells-Building/dp/0131970941/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

Not very a very hi-tech suggestion, but the books are excellent at showing simple examples of exactly what you are after.

Good luck, hope that helps.

(Note - Other books are available, no personal connection with authors etc etc!!! )
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are a few really big companies outthere that produce buildingmaterials and also give user of them details how too implement it in their buildings. Often in .dwg.

Look for example at http://www.isover.com/ (insulations) Their Swedish website has details, not for sure if the uk site has it.