Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Dormer window in Thatch

Anonymous
Not applicable
How can I get a roof shape like that from the Ox-eye Object into a thatch roof? Would like to use the object, but I can't separate, change or set back the window in it. Is there an easy way to construct a similar shape from scratch?[/img]

ox eye.jpg
11 REPLIES 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Try the skylight tool.

No, seriously!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thx Link. I have tried the skylight tool - but I can't change the window under the "ox-eye" into a wall, set it back or drop a new window into it. No control over thatch (roof) thickness either.
OBI
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps a better description...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Oh sorry, I should have read the question mo' better. This is becoming a problem with me these days.

Yes, these parts are quite limiting and I wouldn't blame you for being frustrated. Why does GS release such a part, only to have it suit 1% of the cases? Probaby just to show it can be done.

You are able to create your own ox-eye roof shape using the curved roof geometry method. Then you can intersect it with your main roof and add a windowed wall under it using SEO's. I would recommend creating your roof shape in elevation first using linework at the correct elevations and sizes. Then copy this to your roof plan, where you can use the magic wand with the curved roof, to get your exact shape. You may need to tweak the magic wand settings, but as a budding young student, I'm sure you'll figure it all out!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thx for the help.

What is "SEO's"?

Haven't used curved roof or magic wand on roof plan before - but can try!!

Any other tips for working with thatch roofs? Scratching around, I haven't found any textures or settings yet...

OBI
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Obicanobi wrote:
What is "SEO's"?
Solid Element Operation, check the help files for information on using this function, and search the forum for tips on using textures.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
SEO may be your new best friend. It stands for Solid Element Operation. Check it out in the Reference Guide.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
...Wonderful!!

- and on the THATCH TEXTURE side? - I searched the forum and found nada! I've seen rendered thatch/grass roofs elsewhere on the web, so must be something out there that makes making grass roofs easy....

Thanx for the help.
OBI
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Obicanobi,

I do have the same problem. Can you describe how you finaly did your dormer.

Thanks and a happy new year

Jochen