BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Help with an assignment

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I'm new to Archicad and although I'm learning it as part of my course, the support is woeful at best. I've done reasonably well in learning the basics (I think!). However, there is something I'm stuck on and I was wondering if someone could help me....I know how to do it in AutoCAD but don't know how to do it in Archicad!

Basically my assignment is to build a house. Now, I've learned the basics of how to build the house (i.e. how to build the walls, create storeys etc) but I'm not sure how to show the interaction between the walls and the floors - particularly the first floor and the roof.

I've found an article which was talking about solid element operations but didn't really understand it. I've asked my tutor but he wasn't very helpful and mentioned something about creating details.

Now, I understand how the house is constructed, I just don't know how to draw it in ArchiCAD. Can someone write me an idiot's step by step guide as to how to do this by using the detail tool? It's driving me crazy and I would greatly appreciate it. I only want to do a very simple first floor and roof junction - nothing fancy. If I create a detail of the intermediate floor junction with the walls, will this adjust the 3D model accordingly? One of the tasks is to create a section through the 3D model so I want to make sure the construction vaguely works...

I would really appreciate any advice or help you guys could give me. I've been stressing about it for weeks - it's so hard sometimes to learn a programme from just reading documents/articles.

Ash
3 REPLIES 3
Dwight
Newcomer
In Great Britain they use mud, tiny rocks and twigs to build so it should be easy.

Or, is this question a trick? It is a good question since it identifies a primary dilemma in BIM: how much to model, how much to fudge, how much to draft???

Of course you mean a truss or rafters sitting on walls.......

If you make the roof with a simple ROOF TOOL, and place the reference line of the roof against the INSIDE of the perimeter wall, the descending roof element will collide with the wall in an approximation of the bird'smouth notch often placed in conventional rafters.

Otherwise you might consider creating trusses with the TRUSSMAKER Add-On, or the ROOFMAKER that automatically analyzes the plan and spaces placed rafters according to your spec. The roof tool can then be used to place sheathing and other planar elements layered on top of the rafter array.

The section or detail taken through the joint is then gussied up with drafted fills, annotations and linework.

So, fire a roof on there and raise and lower it until it looks right. Cut your detail and draft away with things like vapor barrier, tie clips and whatever.

No SEO's are needed. Walls can trim to roof planes, but this technique is crude if you expect to detail the connection.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Everybody dance now!
Dwight Atkinson
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Dwight's post seems very out of place know.
Actually a spam post preceded it which I deleted.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!