Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

How to create complex 3D ojects in Archicad 11?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to create complex objects under Archicad but it seems impossible (hope not). So now I'm learning to use Cinema 4D / Maya in order to do such objects, is that the good solution or is there a way to create them in Archicad?

For example, I would love to create a building such as the one shown in the picture attached (done in Cinema 4D)...how can I import this object into Archicad?

thanks alot
alan.

bandsalat_IV_by_dunkelgraucom.jpg
13 REPLIES 13
Dwight
Newcomer
Rule of Thumb: The less like a real building and the more like a drug-induced fantasy, the harder it will be to model a creation in Archicad, since its tools are organized to quickly place the slabs, walls and roof planes of conventional buildings. Also, Archicad tries to always stay rational and the fantasy of doubly-curved elements rarely correspond to real things. IE: The designer has his creative orgasm and the technical guys take it and make some geometry with it so they all don't get beaten senseless by the contractors. Not to mention the budgetmeisters.

However, all is not lost. Your model presents two challenges:

1: The swooping roof ribs - fairly easy

By making a complex profile wall that arches over the space, the lateral roof form is made. Then a number of curved slab elements would be used to sculpt out the voids using the Solid Element operation method. Highly editable.

2: The curved and interlaced facade mullions. Harder.

If you wanted a bunch of mullions behaving like wriggly worms, it is a challenge, but you could use a series of slightly arcing elbow objects to create a jumble of intertwined mullions. Individual element placement and tedious editing.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Alan wrote:
I've been trying to create complex objects under Archicad but it seems impossible (hope not). So now I'm learning to use Cinema 4D / Maya in order to do such objects, is that the good solution or is there a way to create them in Archicad?
Take a look at OBJECTiVE - it will allow you to freely bend profiles to curves in 3D (in more than one plane), and the 3D cutting/rotation/work planes will make the process a lot easier; and all within ArchiCAD.
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

BTW, you can use it for free with the student version.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Alan wrote:
Take a look at OBJECTiVE - it will allow you to freely bend profiles to curves in 3D (in more than one plane), and the 3D cutting/rotation/work planes will make the process a lot easier; and all within ArchiCAD.
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

BTW, you can use it for free with the student version.
Hi Ralph,
Thanks alot for your message, I'm already using it and I have to admit it is very useful, I don't understand why ArchiCAD doesn't have such tools included. However I'm still pretty limited. I've had a look to Cigraph (www.cigraph.it) 3D tools and they seem to be good but not available for students . Any suggestions?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Alan wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Take a look at OBJECTiVE...
Thanks a lot for your message, I'm already using it and I have to admit it is very useful ... However I'm still pretty limited. Any suggestions?
There's a huge array of tools and techniques in the 3D modelling market. Is there any specific tool or operation you're looking for?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Alan wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Take a look at OBJECTiVE...
Thanks a lot for your message, I'm already using it and I have to admit it is very useful ... However I'm still pretty limited. Any suggestions?
There's a huge array of tools and techniques in the 3D modelling market. Is there any specific tool or operation you're looking for?
Well what I would really want, is to be able to do some basic 3D modeling, some intuitive tools like those on Sketchup. I have sketchup but the plugin ArchiCAD on mac is not available yet. will have to be patient
Or a tool that can edit walls, slabs, windows... in elevation mode. that would be nice.

thanks Ralph!
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I've had a look to Cigraph (www.cigraph.it) 3D tools and they seem to be good but not available for students . Any suggestions?
That's not right!
All our plug-ins are available for ArchiCAD 11 Student version free of charge.
They can be downloaded from the Graphisoft Web Site.

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Alan wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Is there any specific tool or operation you're looking for?
Well what I would really want, is to be able to do some basic 3D modeling, some intuitive tools like those on Sketchup. I have sketchup but the plugin ArchiCAD on mac is not available yet. will have to be patient
Or a tool that can edit walls, slabs, windows... in elevation mode. that would be nice.
The lengthy delay in producing a Sketchup plugin is certainly a pity.

There is a certain amount of editing that can be done in the section/elevation windows, but I'm guessing you mean freeform shaping of wall elevations etc.?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fabrizio wrote:
I've had a look to Cigraph (www.cigraph.it) 3D tools and they seem to be good but not available for students . Any suggestions?
That's not right!
All our plug-ins are available for ArchiCAD 11 Student version free of charge.
They can be downloaded from the Graphisoft Web Site.

Friendly
Fabrizio
I meant those of Cigraph (www.cigraph.it), sorry for the confusion.

Kindly,
Alan
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Alan wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Is there any specific tool or operation you're looking for?
The lengthy delay in producing a Sketchup plugin is certainly a pity.

There is a certain amount of editing that can be done in the section/elevation windows, but I'm guessing you mean freeform shaping of wall elevations etc.?
Yes free form shaping, just the same kind of editing you can do on a mesh or slab on the plan window. The ideal would be to be able to edit an object from top, side, bottom...like on conventional 3D softwares like microstation. I hope ArchiCAD will develop this in future versions

Thanks Ralph !