BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Need to create walls that follow a slope

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys,
I am looking to create a wall that follows a slope, the slope has a random angle but is streight. Really I need to create a box and grab the nodes at one end and pull them down along the z axis and snap onto the end of a mesh. Is it possible??
I know that archicad does have standard primitives within the gdl code, are these primitives available in the main drawing platform.
Some easily editable standard primitives would be great in this software...at the moment i'm strugling to model as nodes for walls, slabs, columns etc don't want to recognise the z axis???? Some freeform modeling features would be a real advantage within this software but as yet I'm strugling to find them.
I would use the SEO but I cant create the extruded triangle shape to subtract, if I could create the triangle shape then I would just create the parallelogram and extrude?

Oh the woes of learning new software...

Thx guys

Tony
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
A roof with angle matching your slope will work as an SEO operator. (You can pick the reference points to create the roof in the 3D window for random angles.)

SEO with Upwards Extrusion to trim the top of your wall.
Dwight
Newcomer
Another way to do this is using a custom profile BEAM or simple BEAM, since these elements can be tilted without distorting their section.

Still not what you are asking for since calling out the tilt of a thing is not the same as dynamically fitting it to a surface, but that is how it goes.

For a simple wall that follows contours, you'll need the Add-On Architerra
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK thanks for the help guys, I used profiles in the end, it wasn't pretty but it gave us the info we needed..

Tony
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Just thought I'd chime in as it's too late to do anything about your deal....

1. It occurs to me that the "GDL OBJECT that you can grab a node..." is simply a MESH... You can create essentially a "wall" like mesh and adjust it's points in the z plane.

If what you want to really do is create a "Fence" that height remains 6' above the earth, then you can try this method.
1. Draw your land mesh (SOLID)
2. Create a copy of this mesh and elevate it 6'
3. Draw a WALL in the line of your fence and make sure that it is lower than the lowest point and higher than the highest point the fence needs to be.
4. Using SEO's, Intersect the WALL(target) and the Elevated MESH (operator)
5. Place the elevated mesh on a HIDDEN layer
6. Now select the WALL(target) and the Land Mesh(operator) and SUBTRACT with downward extrusion. This will cut the wall bottom to the land mesh.

The result will be your fence that follows the top of your topography.

Enjoy!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, how about a fourth option that I used recently!

I admit, it is slightly more labour intensive, but it does remove the need to SEO using the site, which when complex, can start to slow the machine down. It does have the advantage of being easy to edit for bits that are different heights or horizontal.

1. Model your land mesh as before.
2. Trace the outline of the walls on plan, with separate polygonal meshs ensuring that there are pairs of nodes opposite each other (so the top of the wall will be fairly level)
3. Manually adjust the heights of the nodes so they just break the surface of the ground by using the survey levels, interpolation and guess work.
4. In 3d you can now adjust one half of all the nodes pairs by typing the height above the ground you require into the tracker.
5. The other node can easily be adjusted to the same height by snapping it to the height of the first node.

Attached, on the left, the original survey with the walls/meshs traced over. On the right finished in 3d. (Mesh has an aerial photo overlaid on it.)
walls_to_slope.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the input guys, I can see this could be a recurring issue so your input is most welcome..

Have a great day!!
Learn and get certified!