Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D Modelling - Archicad is better than Sketchup and Revit

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello ! It is the first time i write here not to post a problem but just to share some thoughts about Archicad, especially the modelling part.

I am now working on my diploma project and for now am making lots of volumetric studies and variants and while doing this i just realised how good archicad is in conceptual modelling, when working with the Solid Element Operations tool

I know there have been lots of critiques about this issue, and i have posted some of them in the past.
I know you can`t make Rhino-like organic shapes yet, like Zaha Hadid does or you can`t get true plan views of the generated SEO shapes (now you can do it only when working with the SHELL tool, but here are some wonderfull facts:
-SEO is actually a parametric modelling technique because you can always change the dimensions of the shapes involved. Lets say you are sculpting some shapes with the Substractive method, and you put the Operator on a hidden layer. You are now seeing the desired volume. And if you wanna change something, you can just unhide the layer and change the operator, wich will instantaneus affect the target shape. In Sketchup you would need to push pull all the separated face again wich can be tedious. (the SEO from SKP 8 is not parametric at all).
Now revit has the VOID and MASS tools, but they are not as fast and intuitive as Archicad. And yes, this is the strongest side of Archicad - It alows you to work directly with the model, "feel" what you are doing and not get stuck options and complicated interfaces.
I am using SEO alot in Archicad, mostly i use the simple roofs as planes to cut, model and section my volumes. And no matter how complicated the shape become, i can always change it instantaneus by changing the operators involved.

So after using it alot, i have some suggestions about the improvements of the SEO tool. The fact that in AC 15 you have a list of Operators involved, and you can select it or activate it its a nice step forward.

But how about activating an operator again after its been dezactivated? It could be kept on the list but with an OFF indicator next to it. Its just like when using Layer Settiings , but instead of layers you have operators and targets.

Adding more tools for a better management of Operators - Targets, like some sort of hierarchy, and dimensional constraints would be wonderfull.

And i have just a small question: When i use the Shell tool, can i make a solid shape not just a shell? I mean just like when you use slabs for modeling cubes or boxes. Would be very helpfull because i could use a BOX shell as a start for a shape, then sculpting it and still have story-sensitive views. I hope in the future, every element of Archicad will be story sensitive, not just the Shell tool.

Because of this issue, i will probably have to export the plan view of the building and continue the documentation in Autocad. I also have some friends wich only uses AC for the modelling part and this is a good and a bad sign . Is good because it tells how good AC is in modelling and bad because you can`t get plan-views out of SEO operations.

I think if Graphisoft concentrate on SEO improvements is gonna be very
helpfull, especially for students and maybe for every architect wich makes alot of mass studies at the begining of a project. After all, we all know how many solutions we need to work untill we *(and the clients) are happy with it.
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Coty82 wrote:
But how about activating an operator again after its been dezactivated? It could be kept on the list but with an OFF indicator next to it. Its just like when using Layer Settiings , but instead of layers you have operators and targets.
One workaround to keeping an Operator but "turning off" its operation is to drag the Operator a set distance from the Target, so it no longer intersects it, so its SEO does not change the Target. If the Operation is later desired, then drag it back.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David thanks for the tip. I have actually tried that sometimes but is not very practical.

And talking about story sensitive planviews and SEO, i still think the Shell tool could solve most of the problems when modelling.
The technology is already implemented, but needs a minor update. Lets not just call it Shell tool but Solids or something and have the option to make shells with thicknesss or solids. Maybe i should post this into Wishes section.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Coty82 wrote:
And i have just a small question: When i use the Shell tool, can i make a solid shape not just a shell?
This article contains the answer to your question:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/CreatingShellsWithSolidBody
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
JaredBanks
Mentor
Coty82,

Read this blog post:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2011/06/19/conditional-operators/

I think the technique is technically a glitch (because it can be a little screwy), but it does allow for turning operators on and off.

And while you're at it, this is a related post that deals with other ways to cut objects w/o using SEO.

http://www.shoegnome.com/2011/06/26/invisible-beams-aka-rookie-mistake-aka-expert-trick/

There should be no need to leave ArchiCAD to finish documentation!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
JaredBanks
Mentor
Another solution comes to mind.

If your Operator is a complex profile, change the profile to something that doesn't intersect the model if you want to temporarily turn off the operator. Say change the CP to just a small point 100' away. Or something like that. Not the best solution for documentation, but something to think about.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for the tips. I didn`t know about them.