cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D cut view question....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Ive looked around for a solution for this but cant find an answer...

Is it possible to make a 3D window cut view that allows me to cut away a portion of the model but only on a certain story, leaving the other stories visible and intact?

For example, I want to be able to make a cut view looking into the corner of a building, cutting away a section of the interior and exterior walls, the roof and ceiling but leaving the ground floor slab intact and still visible.

thanks

5.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Rockstar
strawbale:

I think the only way is to use SEO. But the operator(s) will need to be moved away from the model for other complete views (cannot be turned on/off).

David
3D_Cutaway.png
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks David, appreciated
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Interesting that a 3D Marquee doesn't work when set to show elements outside marquee.

Cheers,
Link.
3D Marquee.png
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Link wrote:
Interesting that a 3D Marquee doesn't work when set to show elements outside marquee.
Enable the "Trim Elements to Marquee" box.
There is not as much control over the vertical cut heights using that method vs. SEO.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes I had just unchecked that momentarily while I was testing it. Even though the marquee has a vertical range, it still seems to show things outside the marquee on one story only. Bit of a usability bug IMO.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The SOE solution works very well for the moment.

Would be nice if AC had a 3D marquee object, visible on the 2D plan view as well as 3D window.
JaredBanks
Mentor
It is (or was) possible to make SEO turn on or off with Layer Intersection Groups. I haven't tried the trick in years, so I don't know how well it works in 18 (or 19). But if you set the Operator Layer to have a 0 Layer Intersection Group, it theoretically shouldn't interact with other elements.

Here's a post I wrote about it a while back:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2011/06/19/conditional-operatorsv1/
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
JaredBanks wrote:
It is (or was) possible to make SEO turn on or off with Layer Intersection Groups. I haven't tried the trick in years, so I don't know how well it works in 18 (or 19). But if you set the Operator Layer to have a 0 Layer Intersection Group, it theoretically shouldn't interact with other elements.

Here's a post I wrote about it a while back:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2011/06/19/conditional-operatorsv1/
Ive tried experimenting with SOE and the layer intersection groups. Unless Im doing something wrong it doesnt seem to have an effect.

I also played around with using a material set to highest strength to cut the model which gives interesting results as obviously PBC will only work with certain building elements.