Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 20 Interface

Bling Keeta
Newcomer
I don't know if anyone else shares my view of the new interface. I find it really too subtle, almost GREY instead of sharp black icon lines. There's no borders between different palettes or tool sets. A thin red line would help. For a while I thought my eyesight has gone bad staring at a sea of icons. I would much prefer the look of SketchUp interface.
Ben Ling
B.L.LING ARCHITECT INC.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
AC 20
24 REPLIES 24
I don't know when (or why...or how) colour became such a bad thing.

We use colour (especially in THIS profession) to memory associate and as a big mnemonic tool, and you don't really realize how much you rely on it until it's taken away.
Once again it just seems like everything is being driven and designed by engineers (coders and developers) rather than by people who are actually working in this profession.

The lack of depth (shadows or strong outline) between tabs, palettes, toolbars, etc...... also makes the new interface a bit of a pain to use (okay, a huge one).

I just wish they had kept the option of using a legacy interface (for example, they still easily could have done all the other changes, like then new favourites even with the old interface). I hate having to adjust to something that's not intuitive on it's face and regardless of whether one chooses to upgrade to this version or not, it seems like this is what they are settled on using, going forward, and it's just a shame.
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Ben:

Give it some time. It took me one or two weeks to adjust (during Beta test), and now AC19 looks very dated. I find the new interface more tranquil.

David
I've only used AC20 a little bit, but the first thing I noticed was how much calmer and less cluttered everything seemed. Much more relaxing to use!

In some ways I wish I could assign colors to different icons, or especially different colored layers in the layers settings. That said, it is nice to look away from the drawing (which has lots of colors) and see all the palettes and toolbars in black and white as it seems to make visual navigation of the screen less complex and tiring. Working on a retina iMac the icons are super sharp and clear even thought they are quite small. This is a MAJOR improvement for me.

As I go back and forth between AC 18, 19 and 20. I am finding that I much prefer the simplicity and clarity of 20,
Stress Co_
Advisor
Bricklyne wrote:
We use colour (especially in THIS profession) to memory associate and as a big mnemonic tool.....
Speaking of color (or colour) and UI.
I WISH we could color (or colour) code the project map,
view map, layout book and publisher sets.
(Like apple had in finder c. OS 10.8 )
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Robby
Booster
I'm going to guess the Statue of Steve Jobs directed Graphisoft to follow the Apple Interface.....not ketchup
GUI.png
Rob Marelli
AC 27_5030
MacBook Pro (2023) M3 Max -48 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14.5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This clean, flat look is becoming the new norm in multiple systems like macOS, Windows 10, and also in iOS, if I am not mistaken.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erich
Contributor
Stress wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
We use colour (especially in THIS profession) to memory associate and as a big mnemonic tool.....
Speaking of color (or colour) and UI.
I WISH we could color (or colour) code the project map,
view map, layout book and publisher sets.
(Like apple had in finder c. OS 10.8 )
I really wish we could like posts!
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
laszlonagy wrote:
This clean, flat look is becoming the new norm in multiple systems like macOS, Windows 10, and also in iOS, if I am not mistaken.
Just because other fields and disciplines are adopting this "norm" doesn't automatically mean that it's the right way for this profession to follow as well.

Those are operating system interfaces and GUI's that you've pointed out.
They're expressly designed to cater to a wide variety of people with different tastes, needs, sensibilities and conditioning.
As such it would make sense to adopt as neutral and flat a look as possible, and which simplifies all functions and features as much as possible, and is reductionist in every sense.

ArchiCAD is a program that's (ostensibly) designed and developed to cater to a very particular and specific set of users with a specific way of working and a conditioning and training that adapts them to working that way.

Why anyone would then imagine that an architect or designer would be okay, .....or would want to use the same interface as an engineer for example,.... or a geologist, or a climatologist (by way of example).........just because others are doing it that way, is frankly speaking beyond me.

We're all trained to view, analyse and perceive the world in different ways from all those other professions so it would make sense that we also work differently from them, and that we also manipulate and assess graphical information, specifically, differently from them too.

This is essentially the same kind of reasoning that saw Revit end up with an interface that looks like it was pulled out of the backside of the unholy love-child of an engineering program and an even more byzantine and inscrutable engineering program. (Which,.....oddly enough, is exactly how Revit came about in the first place).
Once you convince yourself into believing that if everyone else is okay with mining through countless dialog boxes and drop-down menus by way of defining your user interface and that it should then be okay for Revit users - you end up with Revit.

Which speaks volumes as to why it's a horrible program for design (from a user-interface point of view), and which in turn boggles the mind as to why the developers of ArchiCAD who pioneered this field would now think it prudent to just "go with the crowd" and do what everyone else is doing.

I think the simplest and most straightforward assessment (which speaks volumes as to it's effectiveness) should be in the fact that the most common remark and review of it (- even from people speaking favorably of it) is ,....."I need to get used to it"....
...or... "Once I got used to it...."
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Robby wrote:
I'm going to guess the Statue of Steve Jobs directed Graphisoft to follow the Apple Interface.....not ketchup
I know that is a result of autocorrect, but given all the red in the icons, seems spot on.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Marky
Contributor
Just replacing boring Arial nad Tahoma for Segoe UI as a Dialog font made all now more pleasant and readable, at least for me.
AC 6.5, 13 - 19 Pl, OctaneRender for ArchiCAD, MoI 3D, Blender; W7 Pro 64;
i7-4790K/32 GB; GTX 980/4 GB
shtarkel
Participant
Minimalism is the new (old) trend in design of GUI now. So if ARCHICAD wants to stay with the flow the new interface is the right step.
Also there are people that don't like changes at all because can't adapt so quickly as others.
In half an year or so we will see if there is so big complain about the UI, but I doubt it.
The more important thing for me is if there is a lack of bugs!