Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC10: Library Obj's with embeded PDFs. Really Buggy

Chazz
Enthusiast
I was trying to use use PDF as a quick way to get scale-independent text into 2D library objects......

Using the File>Libraries and Objects>Save Selection As... command when a placed PDF is part of the selection set does some strange things:

1) It takes forever to save.
2) Once it does save, placing instances of the new the library object takes forever.
3) Models with even one instance of these objects take forever to refresh or zoom/pan.
4) Any cropping of the PDF made before the object is created is not respected once the object is placed. IE: if you crop the PDF just the way you want in in the floor plan window then save that cropped PDF as library object the cropping disappears when the object is actually placed.

All in all it appears you really can't use PDF's in library parts.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
3 REPLIES 3
TomWaltz
Participant
Why not use normal text in the object?
Tom Waltz
Chazz
Enthusiast
I knew someone would ask this.....I was using it in a boarder/title block that could be used at several output scales. I know this is maybe not be the current best management practice but sometimes it is just nice to have a boarder in the model space (God, are we going to start using that word to differentiate from layout space?). Sometimes I put boarders in layouts,, sometimes in the floor plan, etc and sometimes in masters. All have advantages and drawbacks.

Getting back to text in objects. The issue is resizing the object, changing the scale and having the relative text size go whacky. I know there are ways to control this in GDL but I don't know 'em. I'm open to suggestions on this much broader topic.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
TomWaltz
Participant
I think you mean "border". I doubt you have someone renting a room in your layouts.

More to the point, what problems are you having with the text?

I've generally found that drawing the border at 1:1 then including a MUL2 GLOB_SCALE, GLOB_SCALE statement does the job quite well.
Tom Waltz