Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC15 Roof input x,y coord. snaps to project origin vs user

lasse
Booster
After setting user origin and clicking roof pitch direction (as has been done for eternity) one used to be able to use coordinates to define the roof. In my case I would define the pitch and immediately input the eave (as the plane origin) by typing x-2, y-2 (for the overhang) and then continue either graphically or with coordinates. It always used to snap to the user origin, but now it always snaps to the project origin, thereby making this input methodology obsolete. Is there something I am missing?

Lasse
(suffering updates since v.4.55)
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Lasse:

This is one option: Your input method uses the Absolute Coordinates (the direction is input before the distance). To use the Relative Coordinates (the direction is input after the distance), type "x 2 - -" and "y 2 - -" (spaces added for clarity). [The second "-" is the separator between feet and inches, in this case showing 0 inches.]

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
lasse
Booster
Hi David

It's not happening for me in V15. The settings are the same in all my older files and my traditional workflow works (which is actually relative). This has been the same since the very beginning. I think there is a bug in the roof tool. I have relative ticked in V15, everything else matches as well. I proceed as indicated and the first point of the roof polygon jumps to the Project origin under all circumstances. The one way for me to get in the "ballpark" is to in fact manually click the first node of the roof polygon (at my user origin) and then the tracker recognizes relative coordinates. The problem here is then I must go back and remove the original point to clean it up. Somethings up and ain't me.....

Lasse
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately the coordinates palette has become unreliable in 3D in AC15. It seems to be related to the new 3D edit plane.

Sometimes you can fix it by toggling the 3D edit plane. I have been struggling with this quite a bit as it is particularly problematic with the MEP add on and I've been modeling tens of thousands of pipes in 3D.

I have reported it to GS. Hopefully they are working on it.
lasse
Booster
Thanks. Unfortunately it's in the 2D window that this is happening. Has anyone else encountered this?

Lasse
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
lasse wrote:
Has anyone else encountered this?
A related thread is here:
Stretching roof pivot lines

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
lasse
Booster
Similar yes, but not the issue for me. I have spoken with a couple of other's about this. Their workarounds involve creating the roof plan and instead of inputting by coordinates, they graphically snap and click the roof polygon to the wall edge below. They then incur the added steps of stretching out the roof overhangs to the desired lengths. While I am capable of this as well, it doesn't solve the issue that there is a problem with coordinate input and user origins.